Wow, @bnjmn you’ve done a lot! As long as you didn’t trash your profile folder after renaming it, you should be able to restore your settings and such, but let’s try to fix your new one, first, and then go after settings restoration.
@CandidVolume, do you have the same extensions installed? Also, can you provide your OS and version (macOS 10.14.5, for example)?
EDIT BECAUSE NEW IDEA: Before trying the steps below, try resetting your session a bit by moving these out of your Profile folder, then try opening Brave:
BACK TO ORIGINAL POST
I didn’t see a way to install from the github for TCI extension, so using a throwaway profile in Brave Core, I installed the TCI extension from the webstore and restarted Brave. The browser appeared to work fine with that, so I added the rest one at a time and finally had a hiccup with 1Password, but that resolved after I restarted Brave (the browser still worked, but the extension couldn’t connect with the 1Password7 desktop application until I restarted Brave, then it was fine).
So it looks like on your system it must be the TCI extension since Brave barfs every time you enable it.
To disable TCI extension without Brave running, try going to ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/[[your profile name]]/Extensions and see if there’s a folder named hfpihhnbilfkcjakaeopanccjlcnnefp.
That’s what my system named the folder for TCI Extension twice. If you don’t have one named that, peek inside the folders that are there and for those that have an index.html file, open that with a text editor and look for the body tag and then a line including “a href=“https://thecreativeindependent.com” target=”_blank"" and that’s the one.
I made a copy of my profile folder and dragged it in there:
Drag the extension’s folder someplace else you can access it and try launching Brave. Here’s what I got when I tried opening a new tab after that:
Going to chrome://extensions shows TCI extension in the list and enabled, which is why the new tab page . Click the toggle to disable it, and the default new tab page is used.
So let’s stop there. Try that stuff and see if it fixes Brave for you.