BUG - Brave is VERY SLOW to Startup on Mac

BUG - Brave is VERY SLOW to Startup on Mac

Running Brave Browser (107.98) on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).

I have been using BB for about a year, and in general, really like it.
However, it has developed a bug that will cause me to stop using it very soon if not fixed.

Every time I launch (start up) Brave Browser it takes an unacceptable long time to become fully usable. This can range from 30 sec to 5 min. No other app, no other web browser takes this long. Specifically Google Chrome starts in less than 1 sec. I just tested GC and it took 0.42 seconds.

Even Safari only took 2.20 sec to startup in a test I just performed.

I expect BB to launch as fast as GC.

Looking at the BB Community history, I see that BB slow performance on the Mac has been an issue for well over one year. So, I am not expecting much improvement from BB.

So, I am as of now SWITCHING BACK to Google Chrome.
When I have a reply to this thread that the BB startup on the Mac has been resolved, and is as fast as GC, then I will consider switching back to BB.

Can you try the following for me?

  1. Do you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, can you try disabling them (temporarily), relaunching the browser, and seeing if this improves the startup time at all?
  2. Have you tried clearing your cache/browsing data? This can often be a common source for “bad data” that may cause the type of behavior you’re seeing. Can you try clearing your data by going to Menu --> Settings --> History --> Clear browsing data? You can set the time interval how you’d like, but for the most accurate results I’d recommend clearing data from “all time”.

Let me know what you find out.

@Mattches, thanks for the prompt reply. Turns out that your suggestion (#2) worked perfectly. Thanks.

Before you posted, I had a colleague that suggested the same thing. I tried it and the Brave startup performance was instantly improved (after a restart).
I saw your post, but wanted to use BB for several days before I publicly confirmed that this is the solution. I’ll mark your post as the solution.

1 Like

Same problem, starting was taking half a minute or more.
Clearing the cache of everything did the job, thanks.
(Good thing I saved this page, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like