Brave without Tor

I would like to request for Brave build branch without Tor functionality.

Background
My company flagged the usage of Brave because of the embedded Tor functionality. I tried to convince IT Security Personnel that I have disabled the Tor functionality from the settings thus it wont be used but I couldn’t convince them enough. I told them how Brave is more secure than other browsers but, they didn’t listen.

End result: I needed to uninstall the Brave from all of my office devices. That’s bad for users like me.

May I request to have a branch of Brave builds without Tor feature? It would help immensely the users like me.

Note that we do have an option to runBrave without tor enabled via Windows group policy settings:

Note the Brave specific policy settings section at the bottom.

1 Like

Another thing that your company could do is to block the tor.bravesoftware.com domain. That will prevent Brave from downloading the Tor daemon and it will effectively disable the Tor tabs functionality without breaking the rest of Brave.

2 Likes

@fmarier Which is the latest version of brave that doesn’t have Tor functionality?

Looks like that would be version 0.22 of the now defunct Electron-based Brave browser:

I too have tried unsuccessfully to get them to approve Brave on the Mac, and it was recently remotely deleted in spite of all my efforts to explain why it isn’t an issue.

I realize that I could branch off the Brave Repo, remove Tor (menu items should be good enough, or force that policy check to always to false), and then push it back out to a new Repo, which in theory, should be able get updates and be merged in… I’d also have to change the name of the executable to ‘Brave-NoTor’ or something, so they will have a different name that they can approve… But, it would be nicer if there was a different binary from Brave. I looked at a security review of Tor and didn’t see anything that was a significant security issue - the best being dumb stuff like ‘if you are using http, and your end node is compromised, and you download a .exe then it could inject malware’, Ah, well, not with Brave as it would upgrade that to HTTPS, and the injection would fail… Assuming it even let you go to that site… And if someone is doing that level of dumb, what browser they are using is the least of your worries…

@fmarier

Thanks.

Is there a brave repo where I can download this particular version of brave?

Regards,
Anish

No, this ancient version is no longer distributed. It would be so outdated that it would full of unfixed security vulnerabilities. It would also likely not be able to download updated adblock lists and the likes.