Brave stopt blocking Youtube Adds

Description of the issue:

Normaly BRAVE blocks Youtube Add videos. But now Add videos start playing again.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Start Youtube and play a video. 1-2 Add videos will be played before the orign. video

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Brave should block YouTube Add videos again

Reproduces how often:

Tried dozen videos over the day

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 10. Brave 1.69.168

Additional Information:

4 Likes

@Ufdring,
Can you please go to Menu --> Help --> About Brave and update to the latest build (v1.70.117) and check and see if this issue persists?

I am getting the same thing and have been all day. I have the latest build (v1.70.117) and that does not stop the ads

just updated brave browser to vl.70.117, adds are stil persistant.

Updated as you recomendet, adds are still playing.

Thank you all for confirming. Looking into this now. Would also be helpful to know what OS everyone seeing this is using, thanks.

2 Likes

Using Windows 11 pro, brave browser vl.70.117.

1 Like

Looks like the team is already aware of this issue and are already looking at solutions. Will update here in this thread when I have any more information.

10 Likes

Thank you for your very quick response. This is a brilliant community.

2 Likes

Also having this problem and I’m using windows 11 Brave vl.70.117.
I have gone through clearing cache and still YouTube now defaults to playing adds

1 Like

I noticed this, too. The latest version (1.70.117) does not block YouTube ads but only if you use your main YouTube account (the one you login with). If you have a brand account, and you switch to it, the ads WILL be blocked.

Example…
You have your login for your YouTube account. You login and you see ads. If you don’t have a brand account added to your main account, create a brand account for it. (Just search for “how do I create a YouTube brand account”.) Now that you have added a brand account to your main account, switch to the brand account. The ads are now being blocked.

It’s odd that the ads are not being blocked if you are using your main account but they are being blocked if you are using a brand account. Not sure why is this happening.

Brave 1.70.117
macOS 12.7.6

same here, newest brave version and windows 11
and youtube ad videos dont show skip button, so you have to watch the complete ad

Same here

If I log in to YouTube normal account the ads appear, if I’m logged out the Shield works fine. I’ve already done all the traditional checkups, updated components, etc. etc. etc…

Brave v 1.70.117
Windows 10 Pro v. 22H2 | Build 19045.4894

I took a look at the console output and it looks like this

2 Likes

Same issue here, updated version of Brave, ads looking just like a normal video without option to skip. In private mode ADS DONT SHOW, only on main youtube acc. Aggressive blocking or disabling extensions does not help either. Hope we can get to solve this soon!

2 Likes

yeap exactly. same thing to me

2 Likes

@Mattches Turns out my hunch was right. When I tried via my phone with brave’s mobile browser it works there as per normal.
Watching YouTube logged in with main account without ads. I’m sure that info should be useful from a technical/Dev standpoint, to hopefully translate that into finding a fix for our computer’s browser sooner.
I believe you’ll be able to bust this and any other future iterations of their ad based assault on us all! lol

~ iPhone with iOS 18.0
~ Brave mobile Version 1.69.1 (171)

Btw I’m facing the same issue when accessing via my computer on macOS. It started today & it’s so damn annoying!
The ads are so arrogant & blatantly in your face, it’s gross.

Thanks for your & the teams good work,
Gold Star for u :star::nerd_face:

1 Like

I found out the same thing. When I use my Windows 11 Pro machine it doesn’t work unless I am in the private browsing view or disabled cookies which means I’m logged out of my YouTube/Google Account. When I’m on my Galaxy S24 Ultra running Android 15.0 in the mobile app (latest version) it works perfectly fine. Hopefully we get a fix soon, I can’t stand YouTube ads.

1 Like

I found a work around. It seems that navigation via a timestamp in the comment sends you to the original video at that time and skips any ads. Not all videos have that handy

I also forgot to mention, I also have the problem with misssing skipp button.
Same behaviour when logging out of the google account as the others observe. then adds wont play naymore, works fine.

So solution needed when using google account.

Could just make a comment of “0:01” and use your own comment if none previously exist :yum: