Brave shut down issue and FB eating cpu and causing high temps

Brave is just randomly shutting down for the last 24 hrs while my other two browsers stay up.
Also for this last month or so Facebook has been causing very high temps. I thought it was Brave in general, but the temps immediately go back to normal if I close the FB tab. Temps do nothing when I close the other tabs.

So I tried Firefox and Vivaldi for a few days, and they did not have this problem. So there must be something going on with FB and Brave.

Windows completely up to date, and Brave up to date Brave is up to date
Version 1.38.111 Chromium: 101.0.4951.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Facebook is whatever, but my main concern is the random shut down of Brave as it interrupts my work, and each time it happens I fear that it will not restore previously opened tabs. So far it’s restored them each time, but there’s still that worry.

@Sarys ,

Please back up every day - the BraveSoftware folder in the following path:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\your_profile_folder\

Abbreviated path explanation:

%LOCALAPPDATA% being akin to “C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local” (no quotes)

Good way to back up the BraveSoftware folder, is with applications WinZip or 7-Zip. Compress the BraveSoftware folder, give the resulting .zip file a name that includes the date and time; example:

“20220401-1530_Friday_BBSoftwareFldr_bkup.zip”

Leave a copy on your Windows OS machine; and, copy that file over to an attached, external hard drive. Those 2 copies, being the minimum effort.

In addition, I believe that Bookmarks should routinely be exported, and thus handy. And, Passwords should be saved in a password wallet application (1Password, BitWarden, KeePass, LastPass have been recommended), whether or not using an Internet browser’s built-in password manager.

For backup software, I usually suggest GoodSync. GoodSync can also backup Android devices.

Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak files:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Bookmarks
%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.bak

Caches (folder):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Cache\

Cookies (file):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Cookies

Extensions (folder):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Extensions\

File System (folder) - can grow to be LARGE and require attention:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\File System\

History (file - usually lots of data):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\History

Preferences (file) is similar to the “Local State” file, loaded with info:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Preferences

Web Data (file):

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Web Data

You can backup up your search engines (records within that “Web Data” file):

Backup of Search Engines - #4 by maxwow

Routine: Create a New System Restore Point every day.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. I used to back up all my Firefox and Vivaldi stuff before I started using Brave. All the frustrations I have with Brave it’s crazy I never bothered backing it up. I’ll be on that the first thing after my nap. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.