Brave search engine not working but other search engines work


Description of the issue:
My Brave search does not work in the search bar. Other search engines (Google & DuckDuckGo) work just fine by loading search results. But when I search using the Brave search engine in the search bar, I instantly get the following error: “This site can’t be reached. search.brave.com unexpectedly closed the connection.”
Brave Search error

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Launch Brave.
  2. Type something into the search bar.
  3. Hit “return” to search.

Expected result:
I would expect to get a page of search results relative to my search. But I only get the above error message.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.39.122 Chromium: 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
Running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on Late 2009 iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 10 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

it works on windows just fine

When it fails, what is the full, exact URL in the address bar (the one that’s failing)?

It happens with any search in the search bar. For example:
https://search.brave.com/search?q=fidelity&source=desktop
https://search.brave.com/search?q=google&source=desktop

Also fail with Brave Nightly even if i use Google Search.

No problem with the regular Brave browser.

Hmm, strange. The URLs certainly appear fine.

If you go to https://search.brave.com by hand (copy/paste into address bar) does it still fail in the same way, or does the issue only occur when using the Search function of the address bar?

My first thought was that this could have been a manifestation of having very old certificates on the system, but I believe macOS 10.13.6 shouldn’t have this issue.

Barring that, a few additional questions:

Is any antivirus or other security software installed?

Are you using ‘Secure DNS’ settings in Brave? If so, what if you turn it off?

Are you using a proxy?

What settings do you have in brave://adblock ?

Any chance your clock is significantly off? https://time.is/

https://search.brave.com/ leads to the same result - site cannot be reached.
I have Sophos Home Version 10.0.4a7 installed, updated today. When I disable the AV features, I still get the same result when searching in the search bar - site cannot be reached.
I disabled “Use secure DNS” in Brave settings, but still got he same error when searching.

I use a Gryphon Guardian router that may act as a proxy server. Ok. That was the issue. When I unmanaged my iMac, the Brave search bar works as it should. That solved it. Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

Fantastic news! Glad it’s working now!

Not familiar with that product but might be worth providing feedback to them, as they are probably ‘breaking’ Brave Search for all their other customers also.

Solved for me too. The last Brave Nightly update on Android seems did the trick.