Brave opening with "invisible borders" that "break" the previous size *UPDATED* v1.30.86 => v1.31.87

Description of the issue:
Ever since V1.30.86 Brave now opens with what seems like an rather giant invisible border (seems it’s including drop shadow [and ignoring UI/WM settings for drop shadows] as window dimension) or window decoration. When I say “invisible” I don’t mean it’s there and can be interacted with it’s just a way to say there is a rather uniform border around the windows that then cause the actual size of the window to be wrong and requires constant resizing.

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Update Brave to Version 1.30.86 Chromium: 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  2. Open Brave
  3. Note the size is not the same as when it closed much like there was some insane thick window decoration that is never rendered.

Expected result:
Brave to open with the same dimensions/position it was closed with.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.30.86 Chromium: 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
ARG!!!

So I got fed up with this and decided to add some wmctrl to my session script to fix this bs. What I’ve found is I have to set the windows -10 to get it to the top of my screen +41 taller than my screens height to get it to go to the bottom and +34 wider than they should be to get the correct width.


Version 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same issue but worse! -10 becomes -20. Resizing is impossible without a tool like wmctrl.

I think you might have better luck getting some help here if you give us a few more specifics about your system than “linux”…ubuntu? debian?
I’ve got v1.31.87 installed on my lubuntu 20.04 machine and that issue disappeared a few updates ago…

Under Settings → Themes, do you have ‘Use GTK+’ enabled?

I can confirm this issue. Running Xubuntu 21.10. The issue occurs with GTK+, classic and designs downloaded from Chrome Extensions. Worse yet, maximizing the window in XFCE now renders the browser window beyond the screen dimensions, meaning the tab bar extends into the task bar at the top and the window corners are cut off. This never happened with any of the previous Brave versions I used.

I can confirm this on v1.31.87(after update) on Manjaro xfce(linux). I have GTK+ theme enabled. Same issue as @Valsu. Also part of left and right sides are cut off for me. Scroll bar is invisible.

Indeed, maximizing goes off screen, it’s like it’s adding the window shadows as the dimensions. More so it’s also ignoring UI preferences about BS like window drop shadows.

Ubuntu is debian ;p Issue is starting to look like it resides in XFWM with everyone confirming the issues all running XFCE.

Same problem here, I’m running EndeavourOS with XFCE and Brave seems to be the only applicaction with this exact same issue. Images attached


Include neofetch so u can see settings:

I had the same issue on XFCE. To solve it I’ve enabled the option “Use system title bar and borders” under “Settings → Appearance”.

1 Like

Sorry, but I don’t see how this fixes anything? All it does is make the XFCE border disappear when maximizing Brave. One then has to undo the maximization to have access to the window control buttons again.
I found this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/673972/problem-while-maximizing-google-chrome-in-xubuntu-20-04

Perhaps the XFCE theme has some influence? For me it’s working fine after enabling this option. I’m using Equilux-Compact for Desktop Style and Window Manager. Maximize and minimize are respecting the window borders and dragging and snapping are working fine as well.

Could have something to do with the theme. But as Brave is the only application with this problem, I’m sure there has to be more to this.

It depends on the underlying issue. In the other threads with this similar problem with XFCE, Chromium 95 and Chrome 95 are also affected as it appears to have been traced to a Chromium 95 bug.

If this doesn’t affect either of those then it could be a different issue.

Checked with current Chromium and the issue is indeed happening there too.

1 Like

The recent update (V1.32.113) appears to have fixed the issue.