Description of the issue:
When using the Google search engine, under certain circumstances, Brave will hijack the “verbatim” feature by filling out the URL with the very first verbatim search I used on this browser.
How can this issue be reproduced?
- On a clean browser, go to https://www.google.ca and enter a multi-word search query, then hit enter. (For example: Brave Browser)
- On the search results page, select “tools” → “all results” → “verbatim”.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 with a different search string, where the first word is in quotes. (For example: “Portable” “Brave” “Browser” “Windows”.)
The expected result is that the verbatim UI element in the Google Search would generate a search URL for the words which are in the Google Search input box.
Instead, what I find when I do the above steps is that the “verbatim” URL (which can be seen by hovering over the word “verbatim” in the Google search UI without clicking on it) will actually contain the search string from the first search (Brave Browser), and not the search where the words were in quotes.
Brave Version( check
Version 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)
I have deactivated all extensions for testing. I can reproduce this on two separate Windows 10 machines. Both the OS and the browser for both machines are on release tracks, and fully patched.
This issue does not occur if the search string you are trying to search for doesn’t begin with a quote. I don’t get this issue in any other browser, so it’s not Google’s search results page.
I am not logged in to Google, so the Google search results page isn’t pulling from my user’s history.
This makes me think there is some sort of input parsing error in something snooping on searches and/or UI elements, which makes it likely an issue with the Brave browser itself.