Brave does not know where I am located when Proton VPN is active

Description of the issue:
When Proton VPN is active, Brave browser does not know my location. If I want “Pizza near me” it sends me to Miami to get it and I am near Denver. Pizza would get cold.

I like my Proton tools and wish to keep them - best in class and reasonably priced. So how can I get Brave to recognize where I actually am and still run my Proton VPN?

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Key in browser search “Pizza near me” with my Proton VPN active.

Expected result:
Return pizza locations near my actual location.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.50.114 Chromium: 112.0.5615.49 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I would buy your VPN but it costs $10 a month. I get mail, Calendar, VPN, and other tools with Proton for $4 a month.

@Klantaff it uses your IP address. So if you’re using VPN that is appearing near Miami, that’s what search engines are going to show. (assuming your VPN doesn’t have a leak). So how can you get it to show where you’re at? Use a VPN in your area or don’t use a VPN. Or say “Pizza near Denver” for your search instead of “near me.”

1 Like

Sounds reasonable. thanks
One more question. Does brave have the same problem if Brave VPN is active?

Yes. Since VPN’s main function is to mask your actual IP address, the same occurs when you use Brave VPN or for that matter any VPN.

I think there is way to use VPN but also permanently storing your location with the search engine.

Assuming you are using brave search,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.