Brave randomly crashes on Fedora 36

Description of the issue:
Brave will often randomly crash

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
1.
Launch Brave
2. Browse the web
3. Open new tabs and navigate to your favorite site

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Sometimes, quite often, Brave will crash randomly. The latest occurrence for me was when loading www.gmail.com.
It doesn’t happen all of the time though and could be on any site.

Expected R Result:
Browser should not crash

Reproduces how often:
Happens 60-70% of the time if browsing for over 30 minutes

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.39.111 Chromium: 102.0.5005.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional information:
Host: Latitude E7270
OS: Fedora 36
Kernel version: 5.17.9-300.fc36.x86_64
Display Server: Wayland
CPU: Intel i5-6300U (4) @ 3.000GHz
GPU: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 52

Do you have any extensions installed/enabled? If so, does it still happen with them all disabled?

Is anything set in brave://flags ? (Anything with a non-default setting will be sorted to the top, and will have a blue dot next to it.)

How did you install Brave, did you use the OS package (which I believe is from the Snap store) or did you use the instructions at brave.com/linux?

I do have 3 extensions:

  • Dark Reader
  • Return Youtube Dislike
  • 1Password

I did install Brave following the link on the Brave’s website, I didn’t download it from Snap.

I’ll try disabling the extensions and let you know if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue. I’m running Brave on F36 Gnome Wayland with NVIDIA rpm-fusion builds.

I tried enabling Vulkan too, it stopped crashing for a while now but facing issues with Google Workspace suite.

I’m going to disable Hardware Acceleration completely and try it out for sometime and see whether it improves.

In my case, it’s the vanilla Brave installation with default settings and no extensions or plug-ins installed.