Brave crashes when selecting Security in Security and Privacy in Settings on Mac

Description of the issue:
Trying to select the Security tab within Security and Privacy tab in settings crashes the browser. I’ve uninstalled the browser and downloaded and reinstalled it to make sure it’s not an issue created through the last update. I’ve deleted all the prefs and reset the browser just in case something has gone awry within the settings, but to no avail.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Brave > Preferences
  2. Privacy and Security
  3. Select Security

Expected result:
Should open the tab and display all available options

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.39.122 Chromium: 102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
I’ve tried to access the browser from within the Safe Boot on the Mac but all settings are completely broken in this mode.

@ChikkyD

If you are saving passwords in Brave Browser, then make an exported backup of your passwords. They can be exported as a .CSV file, according to @CerealLover, who can help you with that, if available.

Also, export your Bookmarks via the Brave Browser > Bookmarks Manager . . . to an HTML file that you will store, somewhere out of the Brave Browser installation paths (along with the exported passwords .CSV file).

So you are prepared for . . .

Please go to your Mac System Preferences and make sure that your clock (Date & Time) setting is close to being accurate. Mac OS is fussy about the date, especially.

Next, Exit/Quit everything.

On a Mac, the BraveSoftware folder is located at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/

Drag that BraveSoftware folder to your Mac Desktop as a temporary backup / holding location - in case later, something needs to be retrieved from that folder.

Next, locate the Caches folder at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Caches/

and move both:

• com.brave.Browser
  • BraveSoftware

. . . folders to the Trash (but do not yet empty the Trash).

Locate the Preferences folder at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/

Therein, find the com.brave.Browser.plist file and drag that file to the Trash (but do not yet empty the Trash).

Do not set Bravel Browser to be your default Internet browser. Use the Apple tip, for selecting some other Internet browser - via the Mac’s System Preferences.

Close all windows. Exit / Quit all applications you had running.

Restart your Mac.

Next, when you start up Brave Browser, the browser installation will create a new BraveSoftware folder at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/

At this point, you should be able to run Brave Browser and adjust the Settings.

Thank you for your swift and thorough response.
I have some good news and some bad news
Bad news is Unfortunately none of this worked.
Good news: I did discover, however that its only when clicking on the description that the browser crashes (where it says "Safe Browsing (protection from dangerous sites) and other security settings) – when clicking on or to the right of the arrow for this section, i’m able to go through and make the relevant changes. I hope this discovery is helpful.

@ChikkyD

So there is some kind of CRASH ZONE in the vicinity of:

That’s correct. I’ve discovered it’s also present for Site and Shields Settings.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.