Brave crashes often on tablet using iPadOS 16.3.1 (20D67)

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue: open Brave and shortly after Brave crashes. Restarting shows message of oops, sorry Brave crashed. Retry. Brave starts back where it was. Typically crashes again sometime. Time varies.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave

Expected result: sometime it will crash

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.48.1 (23.3.2.0)

Mobile Device details
iPad mini (5th generation)
iPadOS 16.3.1 (20D67)

Additional Information:

1 Like

Hello @PCRob

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Have a great day!

I notice that the latest version of Brave (installed today) crashes consistently on my iPad Pro 2018 11" running iPadOS 16.4 when I want to open the settings. Did somebody notice the same. Did somebody has found a solution to make it work. I really like Brave (running flawlessly on my Mac and iPhone), it would be so practical to have it running as well on my iPad.

Thank you for your answer.

1 Like

Hi can you get us crash logs? They can be retrieved similar to those steps as Firefox browser https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/firefox-ios/wiki/How-to-get-your-device-logs

Description of the issue:
Brave crashes when opened or after browsing for a few minutes. Restarting shows message “Well isn’t that embarrassing, etc. “ Typically crashes again sometime. Time varies.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave or
  2. Browse a bit

Expected result: sometime it will crash

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Mobile Device details
iPad Pro 9.7”
iPadOS 16.4

Please provide the steps to follow in order to locate and send you the crash logs from Brave ios on my iPad.

The example you provided (about Firefox logs) does not work—I see no logs about Brave there when I look at Analytic lists.

I tried to send a crash log today from my iPad. The log was labeled “JetsamEvent…” but the timing of its creation suggested it may have been about Brave (“Brave” does not appear in the name). Your posting character size limit rejected it for being too long, so I am unable to send it to you. Could not attach the ips file either; the file type was rejected.

BraveCore 1.48.174 (110.0.5481.177)

Device iPad Pro 9.7 Inch (iPadOS 16.4)

Thank you.

Yes, also on my iPad Air 5th gen.

Same here on iPad Air 5, iPhone 12 mini - both iOS 16.4 plus Airbnb sites does not display images while safari does.

Dear Michel,

Please find enclosed the requested files I think it is in the file of April 1st, but I send you the ones of March 31st and April 2nd just in case. Strangely I cannot reproduce the bug anymore. It works now, without I did any update on the iPAd.

Thank you for your contribution to the development of Brave.

Best regards,

Didier

(Attachment Analytics-2023-04-01-020352.ips.ca.synced is missing)

(Attachment Analytics-2023-03-31-020242.ips.ca.synced is missing)

(Attachment Analytics-2023-04-02-020007.ips.ca.synced is missing)

Dear Jean-Michel,

Strangely I cannot reproduce the bug anymore. It works for me now (iPad Pro 2018), without having done any update on the iPAd.

Best,

Didier

Dear Michal,

Apparently the system rejected the attachements I have sent you. My answer to you was:

"Please find enclosed the requested files I think it is in the file of April 1st, but I send you the ones of March 31st and April 2nd just in case. Strangely I cannot reproduce the bug anymore. It works now, without I did any update on the iPAd.

Thank you for your contribution to the development of Brave."

Best,

Didier

I have exactly the same issue for three days now.

Discription of the issue: Cannot open settings from main menu.

How can this issue be reproduced: Each time settings is selected from the main menu.

Brave version: 1.48.1

Mobile Device details: Ipad pro 2022
Ipad OS 16.4.1

@michal I know I tagged elsewhere on people trying to get logs to you, but going to tag here again. The Support page at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new doesn’t let anyone upload files. How are you expecting/wanting people to get those crash logs to you?

Asking as we still have people sharing of their iOS devices crashing. If that information is being collected, I want to make sure we can direct people on how to get that info out.

I’m having this problem on iPad Pro 3 Gen with iPad OS 16.4.1. Brave starts but crashes immediately when opening settings. I just installed it to try it out. It works fine on iOS and MacOS.

Can you share logs with us?

I feel the fix is not hard but so far we have not been able to see any logs for this type of crash

Feel free to DM me if you can’t upload logs here, probably some security measures sorry

@michal Just a reminder, Users can’t initiate DM anymore. So if you haven’t sent them a DM, they will have no way to DM you. And support tickets no longer allow Users to upload files either. https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000144432

Forget if trust level dictates which types of files, but on my alt account I just tried and it shows: Just tested on this and alt account, types of files that can be uploaded here on Brave Community are restricted, as you can see below:

So it MIGHT be possible if they try to upload as a .txt file but otherwise it’s images only pretty much.

NOTE

I also just went to my iPhone and attempted to upload a .ips file. It did the same thing:

TL:DR of the above is that Users can’t upload files here. So even in DM (which Brave staff have to initiate), they won’t be able to share .ips that the crashes are contained. And no way to upload on support ticket. This limits to email only or for them to use a file sharing service and sharing link with you.

Unless you, @Mattches, or someone else has a better solution.

Ahh I see. The file can be renamed to .txt extension and shared with us then, i know it’s a bit of work. I wish we could have more seamless way to do so :frowning:

Still working on the above, thanks @Saoiray

Michal,

Crash file related to Brave crashes often on tablet using iPadOS 16.3.1 (20D67) - #15 by michal

Let me know if this comes through.

Tony