Brave crashes every time computer is asleep for more than ~1 hour

Description of the issue:

For around a month, Brave browser crashes every time my Windows 11 laptop is asleep for more than 1 hour or so.

If the Brave window was already open on the screen when I put the computer to sleep, after I reawaken my computer from its sleep state, the system gives me a “Not responding” message and then Brave crashes after a few minutes of attempting to load. Afterwards, when I try to open Brave, the system gives me this same “Not responding” message repeatedly - it takes around 6-10 cycles of opening and closing Brave for it to actually start working again.

If my Brave window was minimized when I put the computer to sleep, it has already closed during the time that it was asleep and the application has been quit when I reawaken my computer. The same issue occurs with the “Not responding” message when I reopen my computer, and it once again takes 6-10 cycles of opening and closing Brave for it to start working again.

A similar issue occurs when my laptop is asleep for less than around one hour (these numbers aren’t scientific). The system shows me a “Not responding” message, but it doesn’t crash and loads all of the tabs I had open when I set my laptop to sleep - rather, it just takes a while for the “Not responding” message to go away and for the browser to start working.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Let the computer fall asleep for around 1 hour or so
  2. Reopen computer from sleep state

Expected result: Brave should reopen immediately and show me all the tabs and windows I had open when I set my laptop to sleep - the browser should not crash.

Brave Version (check About Brave): 1.57.62

Additional Information: This is really frustrating - it takes 10 minutes for Brave just to open, load, and actually function when I open my laptop every morning. What can I do to fix this? It’s not reasonable for me to never set my laptop to sleep mode - I’ve already tried this and the battery drains heavily.

@windowscrash if it’s actually crashing, it would be helpful if you could provide crash report ID from brave://crashes. If it shows Send Now when you go there, you’ll need to click those and then close Brave for about 30 seconds so it can upload. Then you can return. What will be needed is the Uploaded Crash Report ID. (Some confuse it with Crash Context which is not useful)

Copy and paste the Uploaded Crash Report ID and Support can look into it.

That said, I’m assuming all they’ll see is an OOM (Out of Memory) report. I have no idea how many tabs you’re using, but it might be that your computer is struggling with everything opening and becoming active right away. Part of it could be due to having way too many active tabs, but another could also be content on tabs OR due some extension causing issues.

Let me ask, what do you have for your settings for On startup? I know for me, I have it set to open New Tab page, but many others will Continue where you left off. If you do the latter, it will reopen all tabs when you open Brave again. This could possibly let you close Brave rather than leaving it open prior to you putting it to sleep. It also would be interesting to see if trying to open with all of your tabs would also cause the issue you’re describing.

Anyway, please answer the following:

• How many tabs do you have open?

• Are you using extensions? (If so, I’m going to ask you to test without them. So either new profile or temporarily remove them)

• Does this happen regardless of amount of tabs open?

• Does everything work fine if you close Brave before putting your laptop to sleep?

• Does it crash or have issues if you try to open with settings at Continue where you left off?

I’ll also say, this has kind of been a thing for a while. Couple issues on Chrome/Chromium below to show examples:

LASTLY
Hopefully you made it this far. Two things to test. I’ll quote from some of the things I was reading:

This was solved by the Microsoft Edge team (who work on a form of the open-source Chromium product).

To fix Chrome freezing/not scrolling after waking from sleep:

1. Go to your address bar are type in chrome://flags
  2. In the search box, type ‘occlusion’
  3. When ‘Calculate window occlusion on Windows’ pops up, change it from ‘Default’ to ‘Disabled’

Restart Chrome, issue solved. Thanks to the Microsoft Edge team for getting to the bottom of this. It works on my version of Chrome and Chromium.

Just replace Chrome with Brave. So like brave://flags will get you similar instructions.

Other place:

As others have suggested, disabling automatic proxy detection seems to work for me on Windows 10: Windows Settings - Network & Internet - Proxy. Turn of “Automatically Detect Settings”, (assuming you don’t need detection of automatic proxy settings, of course)

Yes, you’re on Windows 11, but perhaps similar instructions for that. So those may be a couple things to check as well.

1 Like

Hey Saoiray - thank you so much for the detailed response. I really appreciate your help in solving this issue. I’ll respond to your comment piece by piece:

Copy and paste the Uploaded Crash Report ID and Support can look into it.

Please find below for Brave’s crashes over the past two days (09/10 and 09/09):

• 6e110800-30cd-ae0a-0000-000000000000
  • 68110800-30cd-ae0a-0000-000000000000
  • 5f110800-30cd-ae0a-0000-000000000000
  • 52110800-30cd-ae0a-0000-000000000000
  • 06110800-30cd-ae0a-0000-000000000000
  • df100800-30cd-ae0a-0000-000000000000

Let me ask, what do you have for your settings for On startup ?

I have “Open the New Tab page” as my setting. I thought it might have been the image in the background of the new tab page that was causing some trouble, so I set the new tab page to be a website with no graphics and a minimal size (~1 kb) in https://t0.vc/. The issue still persisted, and I’ve since changed it back to the default Brave new tab page.

How many tabs do you have open?

It depends, but it’s not an extreme amount - I’ll have between 1 to 15 tabs open. The issue is the same no matter the number of tabs I have open.

Are you using extensions? (If so, I’m going to ask you to test without them. So either new profile or temporarily remove them)

Yes, I do have extensions. I didn’t know I could switch to another profile to disable extensions - I’ll definitely try that tonight and report back.

Does this happen regardless of amount of tabs open?

Yes.

Does everything work fine if you close Brave before putting your laptop to sleep?

No, I’ve tried this. Brave still has the “Not responding” issue even if I close it before putting my laptop to sleep, and it takes multiple open-close cycles to get Brave to start working again.

Does it crash or have issues if you try to open with settings at Continue where you left off?

I haven’t tried this - I’ll try it tonight as well.

I’ll also say, this has kind of been a thing for a while. Couple issues on Chrome/Chromium below to show examples:

I’ll take a look at these forum links as well. It’s good to see that I’m not the only one having trouble with this. I thought it was a Chromium problem as well, because I have Edge installed on my laptop, and it has the exact same issue, except it popped up about a month before the issue did with Brave. Firefox doesn’t have this issue at all, which checks out with the Chromium theory.

EDIT: Yes, it seems like I’m having the exact same issue as this poster - thank you for finding this!

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/208813014/chrome-crashes-in-course-of-sleep-hibernation-and-wake-up-cycle-windows-11?hl=en

It’s interesting that it popped up in Chrome in early April, in Edge around July for me, and in Brave around late July/early August. Seems like some kind of issue with the Chromium build for sure. I have a different setup than the poster of that thread (AMD CPU/GPU vs. Intel/Nvidia) and I’m still having the same issue. I get the “Restore pages” popup as well, just like him.

This was solved by the Microsoft Edge team (who work on a form of the open-source Chromium product).

I’ve read this, and I tried this a couple weeks ago - it didn’t solve the issue.

As others have suggested, disabling automatic proxy detection seems to work for me on Windows 10: Windows Settings - Network & Internet - Proxy. Turn of “Automatically Detect Settings”, (assuming you don’t need detection of automatic proxy settings, of course)

I’ll try this as well.

Thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it. I’ll report back and see if I can solve this issue with some of the things you’ve suggested!

1 Like

I believe I’ve figured out the solution for anyone reading this thread in the future - deleting my VPN extension. Here’s what I did to figure this out:

• I first disabled automatic proxy detection, as mentioned in Saoiray’s comment.
  • I changed my “On startup” setting to “Continue where you left off”.
  • I closed the window that contained my original profile, where all extensions were still active.
  • I kept open a window of an alternate profile, where there were no extensions.

When I opened the original profile up, it still had the same issue with the “Not responding” message, tabs not loading, and crashing. However, when I opened the window with the alternate profile, it had no issues at all, and behaved as it should. This led me to believe that the extensions were causing the problem.

I deleted 5 extensions from my main profile, but I believe the “Adguard VPN” extension was the cause of the problem. Like I mentioned in my previous comment, I’ve been facing the same issue as I have with Brave (i.e. “Not responding” message, repeated crashing, etc.) with Microsoft Edge as well, so I deleted the Adguard VPN extension from Microsoft Edge too - this was the only extension I deleted on Microsoft Edge, whereas on Brave, I deleted 5 extensions. Both browsers started behaving as they should, so I think Adguard VPN was causing this issue for both.

Hopefully this helps anyone facing this issue in the future. Thank you so much for the help @Saoiray!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.