Brave completely reset without warning (BAT, Bookmarks and Browsing History completely gone)

Description of the issue: As stated in the title, I woke up this morning to find that my Brave browser had been completely reset, as if I was using it for the first time again. My BAT, bookmarks and browsing history have completely vanished and for some reason it is asking me to create a new profile, something which it never asked me to do when I first set up this browser. Furthermore, the browser did not notify or warn me that there was a new update for the browser (if that is what this is) - it just happened completely out of the blue. I saw someone by the name @thaikhid had exactly the same issue as me, but all replies have been closed so I am not sure what to do.

How can this issue be reproduced? (I am assuming this means how many times this has happened)

1. This has happened to me before
  2. This is the 2nd or 3rd time this issue has popped up so I have decided to report it because it is starting to get frustrating.

Expected result: For the browser to not reset out of the blue without warning.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.9.76 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit) - this is the version I have now with the reset browser. I am unsure whether this was the same version I had before this issue arose, because I am speculating that this a new updated version, in which I very well could be wrong.

Additional Information: I’d just like to reiterate that I love this browser and find it to be far and away the best browser out there - a much better alternative to Chrome. However, spontaneously resetting a browser without warning the user is a very serious issue that needs to be fixed ASAP - if this continues to happen, I will unfortunately have to switch back to Chrome because the potential to lose all of my bookmarks and other Brave-related stuff again is too risky. Furthermore, if this issue is preventative can you tell me how I can prevent this from even happening to other people I know, because I have told many about this incredible browser and I do not want this to happen to them - it could just be a matter of syncing?

Can you make sure you’ve no “accidentally” created a new profile? Circle icon at upper right.

1 Like

yeah I just checked that and deleted it - it’s back to normal now. Issue is fixed. Thanks a lot dude - really appreciate it. Saved me from the nightmare of trying to find all my bookmarks again. Absolute lifesaver.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.