Brave browser opens up blank after wnidows update

Continuing the discussion from Brave browser opens up blank after windows update:

Please see details of issue posted previously.
Brave Version 0.68.131 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Windows 10 64 bit

Just wanted to give a quick update on the issue of the Brave browser opening to a blank window reported previously (see link above).

After finding no solution from the previous thread, I went back to using Chrome for the past several weeks. However, yesterday, the “same” issue happened with my Chrome browser and I was forced to go with Internet Explorer as a backup. I did not see how to import all my bookmarks, passwords, etc from Chrome so I have been operating with none of my passwords, bookmarks, etc that I am used to being able to access. It has been a pain.

In researching this blank screen issue with the Chrome browser, I came across a suggestion to just click on the small person/icon in the middle of the screen, so I did, and lo and behold, my standard Chrome window opened up with all my bookmarks, etc (and I assume my saved passwords but I haven’t fully researched this).

So, I thought to try to do the same with the Brave blank window issue, and lo and behold, it seems to work there as well. That is, I just clicked on the small person/icon in the middle of the screen, and it opened up the Brave browser with my bookmarks, etc showing (and I assume my passwords saved).

I am sure I tried clicking on the small picture/icon before when I first posted the issue last month, but it did not work at that time. So, apparently something changed. It is still not ideal, but workable!

Thought this might be helpful to someone else.

1 Like

do you have hardware acceleration on? if you do please turn it off

@alexhall1983,
Can you share a screenshot of the “person” in the middle of the screen that you clicked to get everything running?

Here’s how the blank window with picture in middle looks

@alexhall1983,
And what happens when you click on the profile image in the middle of the screen?

“So, I thought to try to do the same with the Brave blank window issue, and lo and behold, it seems to work there as well. That is, I just clicked on the small person/icon in the middle of the screen, and it opened up the Brave browser with my bookmarks, etc showing (and I assume my passwords saved).”
That’s what I posted previously. Did you need more information?

1 Like

@alexhall1983,
So is the issue just that Brave opens to the “person” login screen, rather than opening up on normally?

Yes, that was the issue. But now the issue seems to have gone away.

In fact, now the Brave browser opens normally. That is, when I click on the Brave shortcut on my laptop, it opens up the Brave browser in a normal window, with all my bookmarks, passwords, etc.

I appreciate you wanting to get all the details so that this post is as helpful as possible to everyone. However, I gave many details in the previous thread, which I tried to link to this thread. And I think those details answer the questions you are asking. Was I unsuccessful in linking the prior thread?

Just to clarify. I just took time to re-read the prior thread, and in it I do not see where I said that when the blank window opens, I could not get to a regular Brave browser window. I tried clicking on all the possible links in the window, including the “person” window in the middle, and nothing could get me to a regular Brave browser. Hence, I eventually went back to Chrome, since I needed to get to a web browser. Hope that clarifies.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.