Brave Browser bookmarks corrupted again

Description of the issue:

A web page (tab) locked up (“this page is not responding exit/reload”).
Closed the tab.
Quit Brave.
Relaunched.
Result: Crash

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Quit Brave, presumably while there is a problem with a web page, resulting in what I assume to be an improper shutdown by the browser.
Relaunch Brave.
Result: Crash

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave app won’t launch

Expected result:
Brave Browser should simply relaunch and allow user to continue where left off

Reproduces how often:
Every few months

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.2.41 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)
MacOS 10.14.6

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 25 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 64 GB
Boot ROM Version: 132.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Illumination Version: 1.4a6

Additional Information:

Crashing repeated on every relaunch attempt.
I tried launching via shell to see what was going on.

user$ ./Brave\ Browser
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
[0108/052609.122610:WARNING:system_snapshot_mac.cc(42)] sysctlbyname kern.nx: No such file or directory (2)
Segmentation fault: 11

Tried args such as:

user$ ./Brave\ Browser --disable-gpu --disable-brave-sync
AVDCreateGPUAccelerator: Error loading GPU renderer
[0108/060448.255289:WARNING:system_snapshot_mac.cc(42)] sysctlbyname kern.nx: No such file or directory (2)
Segmentation fault: 11

Having been down this road before, I temporarily removed prefs from:
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default

Brave then launched successfully.

Restored my original prefs, but removed the Bookmarks file
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Bookmarks

Result: Brave launches successfully

Brave Browser has no way of recovering from this situation, and provides no means of troubleshooting or restoring or re-importing or repairing its own Bookmarks file. I analyzed the Bookmarks file and could not find any obvious problem with it. The JSON seemed valid. That said, it my bookmarks file is huge 393,800+ lines in the JSON file, so I may have missed the issue, but it seemed to be parsing correctly via Python/Sublime.

So I then meticulously copy/pasted sections of the JSON from the original Bookmarks file (representing each subfolder beneath the root “Bookmarks” folder) to a new fresh Bookmarks file and got the majority of my most important bookmarks/bookmark folders online.

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me where Brave seemingly shuts down improperly (I don’t know that for certain but I assume that to be the causal factor), then corrupts its preferences files somehow, either ./Defaults/Bookmarks or ./Defaults/Preferences (see my prior posts the last time this happened), resulting in crashing at launch, no obvious error messages to diagnose the issue, and no means of recovering very important user data.

I love the ad blocking features of Brave, but these crashing/corrupt prefs/data loss issues are unacceptable. This kind of data loss is extremely frustrating. This software is fundamentally broken. My bookmarks and current session are important data. Fixing these corrupt prefs issues should be priority #1.

@bravehorse,
Thank you for reaching out – while I look into this, can you tell me if any of these events appear in brave://crashes?

Yikes - I don’t think there’s any good solution for repairing the bookmarks :frowning_face: . Sounds like a crash occurred when trying to write to the bookmarks file (maybe updating last visited timestamp, for example). As @Mattches asked, I’d check out brave://crashes to try and find the original crash details

We definitely understand how bookmarks and more specifically the integrity of all of user data is important. It’s #1 to me too; going back to Netscape 4, I’ve kept backups of my bookmarks (zipping the profile directory, using a sync extension, etc). When you force quit apps, it doesn’t let the app (in this case Brave) finish the operations it’s doing. Understandably, this may have happened because of a bug in Brave or Chromium.

The bookmarks file was probably closed before it was finished being written to. The best you could do at this point would be to put the JSON into a JSON validator and try to add the missing } and ] tags where possible.

1 Like

I clicked “send now” on a few of the crashes.

34f51315-057b-4e77-9ef1-eca29dc52e67

6af11871-00cd-4e52-82f7-ab9f9f1fc5d5

d8343aa7-5120-410e-a64d-c2d5356729f8

a392b202-ec4a-419b-921f-e9d612024e28

Yikes - I don’t think there’s any good solution for repairing the bookmarks

Yes there is. Provide a utility to import the JSON “Bookmarks” file, which is just a plain-text document, and parse it for url: ‘…’ name: ‘…’ and type: ‘…’ lines to recover as many bookmarks as possible within their respective subfolders. I am on the verge of banging out a Python script to accomplish the task myself given how unreliable Brave is.

Better yet - don’t store the bookmarks in a ridiculous gigantic JSON file! Use a proper database. Isn’t sqlite or something similar already available?

And provide a way to automatically backup user data, ie, backup every ‘n’ hours (24), and keep ‘n’ most recent backups (3). At least then it would be reasonably easy for a user to revert to a prior good copy of Bookmarks or Preferences. I keep older copies of my bookmarks and preferences too, but a user shouldn’t be expected to have to manually export their bookmarks file every time they want to quit Brave Browser. Again, I’m contemplating a Py script to do this for me since Brave Browser cannot be relied upon at all.

I went to preferences in Brave, and enabled auto-send crash reports.
Clicked the “Relaunch” button.
Brave crashed.

9c8fc85f-05b0-4d19-86d1-041dbca1d972

Then when I relaunched Brave - none of my windows/tabs were restored. My history and bookmarks are still intact, but the session is gone.

This is not a new problem!

I can’t tell if Brave is uploading the crash reports or not. The brave://crashes page says:

Local Context 9c8fc85f-05b0-4d19-86d1-041dbca1d972

Crash report captured on Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 8:40:38 PM (upload requested by user, not yet uploaded)

…for all of the crash reports.

Can I zip them up and PM to you?

Can’t paste the crash report contents here due to post length limit.

Can’t upload a .zip or .crash file in this forum. Only multimedia extensions allowed? That doesn’t make sense… :roll_eyes:

How about this:

After you submit the crash report, usually you’ll have to close/re-open browser to be able to see the Report ID portion. That’s the part we need (we’re not able to look up using the local context)

Thanks for taking the time to do this :slight_smile: I know it’s frustrating

As for the format- this is all Chromium. We haven’t (that I’m aware of) made any tweaks to it. Sqlite is used for history and other items

1 Like

Were you able to download the logs from the dropbox link?

After you submit the crash report, usually you’ll have to close/re-open browser to be able to see the Report ID portion

Is everything involving troubleshooting Brave Browser needlessly complicated? Why doesn’t clicking “send report” simply send the crash log immediately? (I have repeatedly tried manual send of logs via the Brave://crashes page and it does not work, they still haven’t been sent.)

Please acknowledge receipt of the dropbox ZIP of crash logs so I can remove the file. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.