Blocked Location in Settings but Displaying Local Weather

I have locations blocked for all sites and block scripts enabled in my settings. I clicked on the seekr.com ad notification and disabled blocked scripts because no content would display. Once I did that, local weather for my community was displayed. In settings, location is still blocked. Why is local weather displayed? This is not expected results. This is why I used a VPN prior to using Brave. Not happy.

It maybe because there is a script inside the website which determined your location through your public IP Address. Brave script blocker must have detected a Location Tracking script and have blocked it. Location determined using IP Addresses isn’t accurate, but it can tell in which town or locality you live in, based on it the script shows the weather information.

A popup was displayed asking if I would allow the site to see location, but I clicked block. So, I didn’t allow there and I didn’t allow in Brave settings.

The weather information displayed was extremely accurate. I live outside any city limits but my little community has a name and my specific community name was used. That’s pretty accurate.

Guess all that location blocked nonsense isn’t really effective even though it looks good and makes you think something is being done. :laughing:

This raises other questions. Wondering what my ISP is up to… will have to go read their ToS and Privacy Policy again. Has been a while. :stuck_out_tongue:

Chocoholic - try viewing the same weather information page using a “new private window with tor.”
IP addresses are at this time necessarily tied to specific networks. Accurate weather forecast is a reasonable reason to share your location in my opinion. If 500 of your closest neighbors allow location sharing with the weather website and all are from the same town, by simple deduction they can be pretty confident that the 1 or 2 that do not share their location but have similar IP addresses are also in that town.

You may be a good candidate to use tor all the time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First, thank-you for the information!

Well, here is how I look at it. If I want a weather forecast, I will go to a weather forecasting site. Allow location there until after I get the information I need. Then disable, close, sites, delete history/cache/cookies. All good. If I want news, I go to a news site. I block my location and have no desire to see the weather accurately displaying weather for my location.

It bugs me when sites are pinpointing information about me. That is why I always get an inordinate amount of satisfaction when using a VPN and get information displayed for a location no where near me! lol Maybe this is a real convenience for the majority of users and I am just being crazy about this. I have been known to go off the deep end every so often. :innocent: :laughing:

OK. I’ll look into it more. I really don’t know anything about it. Thanks. :smiley: