BitChute videos stop playing, will not continue until page is refreshed

Description of the issue:
Since updating to the latest version v1.36.112, videos on BitChute.com will randomly stop playing as if the video had been intentionally paused. (The play/pause icon switches to play.)

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Play video.
Wait.
Occurs at random, sometimes within a few minutes of starting a video, sometimes after 30 minutes or more, but rarely longer than that. Soonest noted was >2min.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:
Random, but average is about once every 10-15 minutes.
Using a long (2:50:31) video ran test to see if issue occurs at specific intervals.
After each occurrence, tab was reloaded and time slider set to timestamp (+/- 5s due to difficulty at getting to a precise timestamp with slider) of occurrence.
Test start timestamp: 1:19:55
Occurrences:
1:50:39 (restart 1:50:39)
1:51:34 (restart 1:51: 37)
2:11:33 (restart 2:11:36)
2:18:12 (restart 2:18:10)
2:35:15 (end test)
Appears to be no consistency.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 v10.0.19043, Brave v1.36.112 Chromium: 99.0.4844.51 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
When the issue occurs, clicking play results in icon switching to pause, but video will not continue.
Moving time slider forward or backward results in it indicating video is loading/buffering, but it will not continue playing regardless of how long it is allowed to load. (Let it sit for several hours.)
Has occurred when tab playing video is most forward, when a different tab is most forward, when another application is most forward, and when browser has been minimized.

bitchute isn’t a very reliable site (ie its a slow site) I don’t think its Brave at fault here.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something on BitChute’s end contributing to this, but the fact remains, prior to the latest Brave update this issue did not exist. This report was copy/pasted to BitChute so that it can be examined from that side.

As for BitChute being slow, the issue is that videos are pausing as if from user input. This is very different from a video failing to load or loading too slowly for uninterrupted playback.

This is most likely on Bitchute’s end, however I’d like to see a solution to this.

I had this same issue happen - mid-video it would stop playing as if I had hit pause although I hadn’t.
The player-icon would turn to the triangle to indicate that I can click to resume - but doing so didn’t resume the video.

This is something that sometimes happens to me on other sites as well, because of some weird stuff with my audio devices, so I have to unplug my audio interface, reconnect it, and then resume - did this and the video was still not playing.

Then I tried refreshing the page, playing in a brave-incognito window, restarting my computer, testing in different browsers (chrome, firefox, even TOR) with no luck.

Then I opened the browser inspector and tried to open the video source-url, and this turned oout to be a 404-not found error.

I got this issue on ALL videos from the same channel - while the channel and videos were still accessible, the videos wouldn’t play - all videos had one thing in common; the source-url to the video had “seed200” in the url.

Then I tried another channel and they had a different prefix, seed1sjt3, which worked without a hitch.
So my guess is that it’s bitchute that’s experiencing temporary and random downtimes on specific subdomains of their site, since the videos from each given creator is hosted on a subdomain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.