Arch Linux Cast to TV [Broken OS/Not fixing]

For some odd reason casting from linux browser to TV/SkyQ box is not working.

The browser incorrectly reports my Sky Q box and TV as “Source not supported” yet if I boot to windows …they both are!

I’m in the process of moving away from windows and this is one of the big issues I have and to be honest I don’t see why this is not working when all online sources state this is fixed.

This is the same process I follow in windows:

  • CTRL+o =search for file

  • Right click, select “Cast …”

  • Select device

  • watch on selected device

It is that simple so can I enable logging or is there a debug mode to find out the actual error Brave (linux) has?

I don’t understand why this is not working

Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

Have just upgraded to:
Version 1.7.92 Chromium: 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

Issue still present

To add I’ve search and checked all the posts here and Reddit for this but my issue remains.

I take the silence as nobody else has this issue.

I’m just want to make sure. Did you have Media router enabled under Settings > Extensions?

cc @Mattches @Aa-ron

Can you be more specific about what site you’re trying to cast content from? Also, to confirm, you’re trying to cast from your [pc] device to a Chromecast-enabled device, is that correct?

Yes that was the first thing I did

Any site or local file

I have a PC with 2(two) operating systems: Windows 10 and Arch Linux.
When I boot to widows 10 casting from Brave browser works to my TV and SkyQ box(satelite)
When I boot to Arch Linux Brave states “Source not supported”

I want to remove Windows 10 but this is one of the issues I face that is stopping me from removing Windows 10, The reason I want to remove Windows 10 is because I want to move away from it.

Why Does Brave state the 2 devices are “Source not supported” when clearly they ARE.

I have searched this community and ensure all the settings are present and correct, I have reinstalled the browser multiple times to no effect, Clearly there is an issue but nothing is providing any logs or clues as to what is the cause.
If it was a network issue then it would not work in windows.


:point_up: So this points to an issue with the OS rather than specifically with Brave. I would imagine that if you try the same action using Chrome or some other Chromium browser, you’d get the same results. If your OS is unable to detect any source devices to cast to, nor will your (that is, any) browser.

Digging a little further, it seems that lots of users have had this issue with Arch Linux and casting to external devices. There are some things we can test though. However, you should try and get a local file to cast first – that way we can be sure that you’re able to cast from the OS, period. Try the following:

  1. Unless you already have it installed, download and install VLC Media player (free and open-source).
  2. Once installed, play a media file in VLC or add one to the playlist.
  3. Then, go to Playback --> Renderer and see if your devices appear on this list (note that it may take a few seconds for devices to appear in this list from time to time).
    • If they do, select one and then hit Play and see if the media is properly casted to the device.
    • If they do not, there’s likely some package/dependency you’ll need to download for Arch Linux in order to stream content across devices.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks for the feedback, VLC has never been able to cast for me from Windows or Arch Linux.
VLC was my first choice for this as it felt more natural.

I am able to see both “castable” devices with an avahi search and have confirmed that avahi is configured correctly by following this:

When I finish work today I’ll boot to arch Linux and test with other chromium based browsers and provide feedback but I have a feeling they will work.

Is there any way to get some form of logging from brave for this so we can see exactly what it’s doing?

1 Like

So I have a few suggestions that may help:

  • Try going to brave://media-internals and see if you can get any output when you attempt to cast.
  • You may also be able to compare the brave://gpu information in Arch Linux and the information in Windows. The difference between them may point to the cause/solution.

Cheers for the suggestions.
I’ve tried chromium and google-chrome neither can cast :frowning:

I think I’ll just have to accept the fact that my system can’t use chromecast, I’m lost and just fed up. I really thought the browser would do this but I can’t even get vlc to cast.
I’ll be buggered if I’m going to re-install just to get this so I’ll just say goodbye and thanks for all the fish!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.