Advertising issues

I use Brave on desktop. I was curious why, after viewing ads and web pages for products, those same products would be displayed over the next several days on other web pages.

Clearly, Brave is sending advertising information that is picked and used by web advertisers. Or is there some other way this information is harvested by advertisers. Is there any way to stop this either via Brave or some other way?

On what? Where?

That likely would be based on your cookie and tracker settings. Sounds like you may be allowing third party cookies.

Negative. Brave doesn’t mess with any of that. Brave never sells your info or anything and the ONLY ads you’ll be getting are from Brave on New Tab Page, Brave News, or Push Notifications IF you have Brave Ads turned on. Otherwise Brave attempts to block all ads and will never track you.

Yep, if you end up downloading things, accepting cookies on websites, have Shields turned off, or any of that then you’ll have cookies and trackers which will track your activity and present ads based on your location, activity, etc.

Well, overall it would be by making sure you have Shields on and probably should also enable Fanboy Annoyance's List and uBlock Annoyance's List in brave://settings/shields/filters . Also make sure you have Shield settings to say Block Fingerprinting, Block Cross-site cookies, and Block trackers & ads.

Blockquote
That likely would be based on your cookie and tracker settings. Sounds like you may be allowing third party cookies.

I have my tracker/ad blocking settings configured for “standard.” 3rd party cookies are blocked. Block cookies setting is “cross site only.” Are you saying I should set this to block “all?”

My shields are turned on by default. I only turn them off on a few sites which pose a conflict with registration/pop up screens etc. But the web pages I visited and whose products displayed on subsequent web pgs had shields up.

I use Duckduckgo as my search engine. Is it possible my data leaked out through it?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.