Understanding Brave Advertising

As a fairly “new again” user (I stopped using Brave a few months back when the massive Chrome-overhaul sort of ruined Brave for me), I wanted to leave some feedback about the Advertising portion.

The Settings section could be clearer about what exactly we are doing when we are choosing particular options. Any new user will likely be confused by the “Ad Control” option: “Allow Ads and Tracking” vs. “Block Ads”.

What exactly am I choosing when I choose “Allow Ads and Tracking”? Am I basically just allowing all the original website advertising? And when I choose “Block Ads” am I agreeing to use Brave Ads?

Or does choosing “Allow Ads and Tracking” presuppose that the user knows that all the original advertising infrastructure is always gone and blocked from Brave, and “Allow Ads and Tracking” means to turn on Brave Ads, while “Block Ads” mean that I want to use Brave with zero advertising, Brave or otherwise?

For those who are more intimately involved with Brave this may seem obvious, but to a casual user it is not obviously clear or intuitive to me.

Similarly, with Cookies, do these options presume all Brave non-compliant cookie infrastructure is/ has been deleted, and only Brave compliant First, Second and Third Party cookies are ever allowed. Or does allowing Third Party cookies basically allow any cookie, no matter how treacherous and malicious, free reign?

Third, the same arguments above apply to the Fingerprinting options.

Finally, I think you should put a “Brave Ads” tag on all Brave-compliant advertising. It would assuage a lot of the anxiety folks might have about the ads popping up.

PS - I clicked through on an advertisement and it used DoubleClick, which is a Google company is it not?

If Brave is using Google to serve its ads, what on earth is the point of Brave Ads for those of us who want out from under Google’s evil-doing thumb?

1 Like

Hi @SeanIsNot,
Welcome back to the community. :slightly_smiling_face:

First, Brave Ads is not related to Brave Shields (Ads/trackers blocker and other protections).

In short, Brave Shields is a protections option (ON by default) which protect users from ads/trackers and other threats on the web.

More about Brave Shields https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001053072-Shields

While Brave Ads is “a part” of Brave Rewards and require users to opt-in. Brave Ads just launched a few days ago. And the first ads that been released is user ads. Which use system notification to show ads. In other word, Brave Ads is, for now, not shown on website like other ads.

More about Brave Ads https://brave.com/brave-ads-launch/

If you change the shields settings, it’s changed the way Brave protect you. Like if you Allow ads and trackers, that mean you allow ads from current “traditional” ads ecosystem to shown on webpage that you visit.

You may click a “traditional” ads that shown on website. Not Brave Ads. Because Brave is use it’s own system. Like mentioned above, current Brave Ads is use system notification.

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit though, it is all very confusing.

Most folks, when “buying in” to Brave, are expecting a web browser that protects their privacy and keeps them out of the evil behemoth that is Google.

I “expect” when I use Brave with Brave Ads that I can use this browser to see only Brave Ads, and that nothing I do involves Google, and that Google doesn’t get 1/1000th of a cent for anything I do while using the internet via the Brave browser.

That’s the sort of expectation people have when they hear the hype about Brave and the BAT. It’s frustrating after a couple of years I still can’t get a complete understanding of how this thing works.

Thanks again, anyway.

You can use Brave Ads (opt-in) and still have full protection (Brave Shields enabled - ads/trackers blocker enabled, etc).