Ads on Youtube even when shields is turned on

Description of the issue:
Somehow Youtube is stilll able to show me ads even after having shields on. and Yes the issue did arise even when shields was in its default options… Any help would be lovely… Thanks…

URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ423zNvraA

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave:

**Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? Nope…

Does the ad appear when using a Private window as well? (yes/no)

**What OS are you using when you see the ad? The latest one

**Brave version (check About Brave): 1.66.118 (up to date with updates)

3 Likes

My Brave Version is

Version 1.67.108 Chromium: 126.0.6478.40 (Official Build)

same thing with me today. youtube is ignoring brave’s adblock, entirely.

1 Like

Same thing happening here, mental.

1 Like

Aware of the issue with Youtube ads, occuring in other Adblockers also. We’re investigating.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, this doesn’t seem to be affecting Adguard. When I started experiencing this, I tested all kinds of other options and Adguard on my Mac is having no issues in Safari. I also noticed that I can right-click a video and open in a private tab and the video will play with no ads and no issue. It seems like a fingerprinting/cookie issue.

This may/may not work; add the following into brave://adblock custom rules

youtube.com##+js(set-cookie, VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE, 1, , , domain, .youtube.com)
youtube.com##+js(cookie-remover, VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE)

Are you sure those commands work in custom rules?

The latest version of Brave on fully updated Windows 10 is failing to block YouTube ads - however, it is blocking correctly on my fully updated Windows 11 machine.

(see above test rules)

I’m having the same problem since 2 days ago, tried a lot of different suggestions but ads are still coming through. I did notice that I only get ads when I’m logged into my account on youtube. When not logged in, I don’t get ads.

1 Like

That doesn’t appear to work, at least not for me.

Nope… doesn’t work… Hopefully an update will roll out asap coz this thing is super irritating and
here’s the most weird part, this problem arises only when i watch youtube using a particular account… if i switch to my alt account then voila!! the ads are gone…

For me neither, but I want to know when this bug will be fixed since I’m getting sick and tired of YouTube showing me ads here on Brave, but unskippable because it shouldn’t persist

Hi everyone,
I discovered an easy hotfix that may assist anyone who is truly unable to handle YouTube with ads. Simply click the brave “shield icon”, right of the URL bar, then adjust your cookies to “Block all cookies”. This will log you out of your account, and throw an error when you try to log-in, but you will still be able to watch YouTube videos without ads.

This worked for me, I hope it comes useful for others too. Windows 10.
Alternatively, I’ve heard that simply logging out of your account may yield the same result.

-kon

Bit of an update,

As of now, Brave appears to be struggling with loading videos / preventing ads regardless of blocking cookies. YouTube is putting up quite the fight. For now, I’d just ride out the storm and follow what Brave employee(s) are recommending (✿╹◡╹)

I don’t think that’s a good idea, but still, I hope the issue gets fixed as soon as possible

you can watch them ad free right now just by logging out of your account.

the whole reason i use brave is to not have to deal with youtube ads. if they aren’t going to make sure i can do that, i see no point in using it, anymore.

DuckDuckGo it is, then. so long brave you were good like 70% of the time.

1 Like

That’s not fair, I can’t log out of my acount to watch videos ad free because I won’t be able to upload any new videos or post any comments, but I’m still waiting for the developers to fix this issue so that I don’t switch to Opera or any other browser with ad blocker included or switch back to Chrome and find an extension to remove the ad blocker warning

I have the same issue. Additionally, there is no “Skip Ad” button, so the only option is to actually watch the entire ad, which can be very long (I got one that was longer than 2 minutes).

It’s as though the ad blocker is filtering out the “Skip Ad” button, but can’t filter out the ad itself.

2 Likes

That’s the same issue I’m having, but I wish it gets fixed as soon as possible so we don’t have to deal with those unskippable ads, but every time this happens to me, I have to disable the ad blocker and enable it again many times possible until no ads are shown again, but that’s not working either and updating the component doesn’t even work