Action required: connect a custodial account or your vBATs will be lost, Hungary

Briefly describe your issue:
Hy, I got a notification at my Rewards page which says: Action required: connect a custodial account or your vBATs will be lost.

I was trying to connect to Uphold or Gemini, but neither of them is supported in Hungary where I am from. What should I do now?
What Operating System and Brave version are you using? (Menu --> About Brave)

Who is your verified custodian? (Uphold/Gemini/bitFlyer)
none
Are you in a supported region? (see here for list of supported regions)
No

1 Like

@tbalazs97 unfortunately, there’s no other option. About the most you can do is see if you can tip someone if you want to try to send it to a verified Creator. Otherwise it just will be lost when sunsetting of vBAT occurs.

Hy Saoriay,

As I said I am from Hungary, and my Uphold account is also registered in Hungary. I’ve just checked that Hungary is supported in Uphold. When I am trying to connect my Uphold acc to my Brave rewards it says: Your Uphold account is registered in a country that’s not currently supported for connecting to Brave Rewards.

I checked my address in my Uphold wallet, it is in Hungary. What can I do? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your answer

@tbalazs97 Actually, I spaced and took things as you phrased it, which brought some confusion. You mentioned:

However, seeing your reply, I just double checked. Hungary is listed as a supported country at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/6539887971469 and it’s not on the list of non-supported countries for Uphold at https://support.uphold.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026786712-Non-Supported-Geographies-

So when you mentioned it is not supported, that’s not true. Perhaps just is a language difference, but at least we now have clarified that and can understand the situation better.

What this sounds like is that you created your Uphold account using a passport that belongs to another country. Does that sound about right?

I just want to be clear on this, your address “doesn’t matter.” The API designed by Uphold uses your passport. So let’s pretend for a moment that you created your Uphold account using a German passport. Then later you moved to Hungary and changed your address with Uphold. This would still report that you are German, unless you provided a Hungarian passport and asked them to update that as well.

This has been a big headache for a lot of people, but it is how they have it programmed.

Ohh I see. Now it is clear for me. Thanks for the clarification.

So my next step would be to try change my document ID at Uphold? How you know, it is possible? Others, who faced the same issue, how they solved it?

Thanks again for the fast answers! I appreciate it.

The same is happening for Brazilian users. Since yesterday I started to receive this same message. I’ve been trying to reconnect my Uphold account since August to no avail and now I have 7 days to not lose my rewards. Resolve with Uphold or release connection to other custodial accounts, please.

Hy Helio

The advice above from @Saoiray helped me. I wrote to Uphold to reupload my ID documents and now it is working. Take a try

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.