Youtube Web Browser crashes

Youtube browser randomly crashes whenever I am watching a video, not only when I back out of the Brave app and go back in with a blurred screen. It just randomly happens, can’t select home screen or refresh beside open a new tab. When I set my shield down it seems to act normal but when active it seems to trigger the effect of the browser.

I’m assuming Youtube is cracking up their ad blocking techniques.

I’m also on current update Version 1.62.2 (24.3.11.17). Having the effect when returning to the home page, scrolling down a few and it freezes.

Can you please confirm the exact behavior here that produces the crash? You say that it crashes randomly when you are watching a video but then at the end, you say

I’m working on trying to see if I can reproduce this issue on my end, have not run into any crashes after watching a few videos for a while so I’m wondering if there are other steps I’ll need to take?

Video pages does not load and it refuses to refresh the home page, it only works when you open a new tab and open youtube again, however it can occur the same cycle. It can sometimes play video audio but not the screen itself.

Also I should’ve meant to say “freeze” instead of “crash” compare to video freezes, apologies for that. :sweat_smile:

Hopefully this helps to understand a bit!

Thank you for the information.
Can you tell me how you have your Shields settings configured for the site?

Default option. But right now everything is fine, just some reason it was being all buggy to me some reason, but i decided to make a aware of it just in case.

1 Like

Please let me know if the issue occurs again — I will leave this thread open just in case.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

I have updated my laptop today (as I do every time I go on it)
Among the updates was google chrome and Brave browser, now since the update neither of them will play any video, youtube, google or even facebook.
It was working perfectly fine last night but now it’s not.

Brave browser version v1.64.109 (Mar 20, 2024)
OS is Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon.

Not entirely sure if it’s related to OP problem but sounds very much alike.

I have used TimeShift to revert back to v1.63.174 (Mar 19, 2024) and now everything works again.
It’s definitely a problem with the browser.

You’re probably right! Having the same issue on Youtube again but it seems other browsers are not refreshing as well.

If I go to youtube by typing in the address it instantly crashes
It also instantly crashes if I go to youtube via a link and if I use a private window
There was an experimental features flag mentioned in some old threads that people said is best disabled to solve the problem. Mine was already disabled though.

Oddly enough, everything worked fine yesterday. My firewall blocks updates, which is intentional on my part, so I don’t think this is an issue with Brave itself so much as youtube deploying DoS.

Windows 10, legitimate license
Version 1.58.127 Chromium: 117.0.5938.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This thread’s issue came up several days before the Apr 1st update and on mobile, so it’s a separate issue.

Your specific issue is due to the Apr 1st shields update. If your Brave is out of date, you’ll need to update it since this issue is only limited to older versions of brave (I don’t remember what version number it is).
If you refuse to update for one reason or another, see my post here:

If you’re still having issues, please post in that thread.

1 Like