Youtube videos (and more now) freezing entire browser (chromebook)

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
Sometimes, when im watching a youtube video, the webpage will freeze for a few seconds. About a week ago, the freezing would only last a couple of seconds and would stop when i moved my cursor. Now, the freezing lasts between 10 seconds to having my entire browser crash. It does this freezing thing every minute or so when im watching a video, but sometimes happens when im doing other things as well, like trying to make this post. Sometimes the freezing stops if I minimize brave browser by opening another browser on top of it, like chrome. I tried disabling hardware acceleration in my developer tags and clearing cache, but nothing has worked. Restarting does nothing either. And since im using a desktop version of a mobile app, it’s hard to find any solutions for this.
UPDATE 01/23/23 - This is happening a lot more on other websites now. Youtube is impossible to use at this point.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Watch a youtube video on any quality setting
  2. The video will freeze, but audio can still be heard. The pause button still works to stop the audio, but nothing happens visually.
  3. The website unfreezes, or the browser crashes.

Expected result:
Video should not freeze, and the browser definitely should not crash.
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave 1.46.154
Mobile Device details
Chromebook OS Version 108.0.5359.172, Brave was downloaded from Google Play store. Acer Chromebook model C101P Notebook PC.
Additional Information:
This problem does not happen on other browsers.

1 Like

Hello @ohnoproblems

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Brave. Could you please try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if the issue persist on those versions?

Additionally please check if power safe mode is enable and please disable it to see if this make any difference on the performance you are getting.

Be waiting for your response!

Hey,
Both versions (beta and nightly) are doing the same thing. And is “power safe mode” a setting for brave, or a setting for the chromebook? I could not find power safe mode on either.
EDIT: something else i found that was interesting is that the freezing only happens when youtube is in desktop mode. I normally would just switch over, but the mobile version of youtube is incompatible with the chromebook’s laptop-like controls.

Post deleted by author

Just an update, I found my model number - C101P Notebook PC if that sounds correct.

This is still happening btw, just checked today after updating everything.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.