Youtube: hovering videos/thumbnails slows down the browser and PC (stuttering)

Similarly to this issue:

Using popOS Linux (debian based) and Brave Version 1.52.130 Chromium: 114.0.5735.198 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Opening Youtube on different profiles on the browser or the Youtube Brave app makes the browser/PC almost freeze when the cursor hovers the video frame to show the options. It is possible to play normally if I don’t interact with the video.

All images/previews thumbnails are not loaded in all playlists, home or subscription pages.

This started happening very recently, used the install/updates commands (apt) and since the issue above mentioned that unninstalling and reeinstalling did nothing, I do not want to attempt that.

Anyone experiencing the same?

@An.dans,
Can you please provide the exact steps to reproduce this issue for me? I am trying to test and want to make sure I’m performing the right actions.

Additionally, off the top, this smells a bit like an Hardware Acceleration issue. Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

1 Like

Thanks @Mattches it was due to the hardware acceleration: after disabling it, it now shows the images and the controls can be hovered and used in the video.
:clap:

1 Like

Thanks for confirming — glad that was an easy fix.