Widevinecdm PROBLEM! TOO HARD TO SOLVE!

Go to settings
Click “Extensions”
Toggle “Widevine - Ask when a site wants to install Widevine on your computer.” to on.
Close brave browser and reopen it.

Hi
I resolve this Problem Changing the " Site Settings" of the Page and Allow the “Java Script” Component. Then Reload the Page. I Try with Amazon Prime Video and this worked

Nothing listed here works… this is crap!

It is already set to allow the extension. Toggled, closed and relaunched and still not working.

I fixed it by switching user profiles and relaunching the site. Which is ridiculous but it now works on all profiles.

i’ve tried all the above and managed to get the prompt to install Widevine but then it loops and installs and restarts Brave in a loop.

After checking if its not installed anyways, i found libwidevinecdm.so in several locations, in spotify and brave folders, but it did not appear in Brave//components,

Maybe i should bang it in there and see what it does, also i’m gonna check out the git pages because i seem to be close…but maybe not close enough… :crazy_face:

i use Brave [Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)] on Linux/Debian/8.11 ; i should upgrade also to Debian 10, might help… I like Brave its slick, but nothing is perfect :slight_smile:

i installed Brave again, its now on version [Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)]) Debian/8.11/ ], restarted the pc and it works only on the second profile which was looping before but it downloaded and installed anyway and it works :slight_smile: Yihaa, i also did install the desktop app which doesnt work because of missing packages which are not available on my distro version

I finally got this to work. I’m not sure what did it but here is all of what i did. win 10 Version 1.7.92 Chromium: 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit). I installed Java. I enabled everything that I could in site setting for netflix. Then, it took me a while to find, because if you just click ‘extensions’ from the dropdown menu nothing appears for me. But, if you click ‘settings’ in the dropdown menu first, the scroll on the left and go to extensions, I enabled ‘ask when a site wants to install widevine’. This did it. It just popped up right away when I visited netflix. Hope this helps someone

Had this problem myself today, for all those with this issue, well at least on a windows 10 PC I have re-created the issue a couple times on different pc’s and the fix works, its a pain in the butt, however it is fixable.

So a lot of the problem stems from brave not automatically installing widevinecdm when prompted.

For those of you who have already checked brave://components and widevine is showing, just not working you can skip to the numbered section below, or if your a bit tech savvy, the paragraph just above it.

For those of you who have checked brave://components and widevine is not there, nor are you getting a propt to install it, what you want to do is uninstall brave and whilst doing that, make sure to check the box that removes your browsing data as this needs to be a completely fresh install. I then restarted my computer, and re-installed brave. Doing it this way will at least get the prompt from netflix. Anyways obviously the next step is to open netflix and get the prompt to add widevine. Accept it.

Now that action alone doesn’t actually install it for some reason, this may be a bug with brave at the moment that the developers may deal with in the future. Anyways to fix it, first confirm you at least have widevinecdm showing in the brave://components section. If it is showing then now we can move on to the next section.

Before doing this, if you don’t have chrome already, download and install it, you can uninstall it later if you want.

For those of you who are tech savvy, copy the file ‘widevinecdm’ (the entire file, not just the contents of it) from C:\Program files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\81.0.4044.129 (numbered file may be slightly different but should be the only one in there named nothing but a number)
Paste it into C:\Program files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\81.1.8.86 (again the numbered file may be different) Then restart the browser. Brave can be open or closed when your doing this, it just wont recognize the file until you restart it.

For those not so tech savvy, follow these steps:

1. Open up ‘This pc’ or it may be named ‘My computer’
  2. Open your C drive
  3. Open ‘Program files x86’
  4. Scroll down to and open up ‘Google’
  5. There should be one file ‘Application’, open it.
  6. There should be a file of which is named a number, something like 81.0.4044.129, open that
  7. There is should be a file in there named ‘WidevineCdm’, select it and copy it, the whole file, not just the contents of it. If the file is missing you may need to open netflix and run a video for a moment for chrome to install it. It should be in this location after you have done so.
  8. Now go back to the ‘Program Files x86’ file, you may want to press the back button to get there, if you do that, the google file is highlited.
  9. Scroll up to the file ‘brave software’ file and open it
  10. Open ‘Brave Browser’ File
  11. Open ‘Application’ file
  12. Open the numbered file, (something like 81.1.8.86)
  13. Now paste the ‘WidevineCdm’ file into that location.
  14. Close that window, and close Brave browser if you haven’t already, you MUST do this to re-start brave browser so it can recognise the widevine file.

Now Open Brave browser and enjoy.

Thanks man, you helped me out on this one.

Thanks so much! It worked.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.