[SOLVED] How to di-associate ftp with Brave?

I have the following configuration:
Brave: Version 1.24.84 Chromium: 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Just learned that Brave does not handle any longer ftp protocol, but made the association permanent before knowing it, installed FileZilla, now need to associate ftp with FileZilla, how can I do that? Didn’t find useful info over the net, maybe not searching it right?
ps: the first time I entered the ftp url, it asked me which apps I’d like to associate, now didn’t ask more.

If you run the following command, you will see the application that’s associated with ftp:

xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/ftp

In order to change it, you can run something like:

xdg-mime default brave-browser-nightly.desktop x-scheme-handler/ftp

substituting brave-browser-nightly.desktop with the application you would like to use instead of Brave.

1 Like

I filed an issue to get that association removed from the official Brave packages: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/15812

1 Like

@fmarier thanks so much for your help, it worked. Just curious,

1. is there a GUI version?
  2. does xdg-mime works with any association? let me explain: normally I use file manager when I want to associate a certain type of file to an app (for instance, mp3 to VLC and mp4 to SMPlayer, etc., when had a protocol to association problem, I would never thought that xdg-mime can solve it, so my question is in the future if I made again an association mistake (it’s not a file extension, nor protocol, I can use the same method to change the association?).

I’m not aware of a GUI version that allows you to change all of the associations. The GNOME control center only exposes some of them under “Default Applications”:

It does work for all associations. Here’s an example with an MP3 file:

$ xdg-mime query filetype foo.mp3 
audio/mpeg
$ xdg-mime query default audio/mpeg
org.gnome.Totem.desktop

The first command tells you the full name of the file type for the given file (foo.mp3 in this case), and then the second command looks at the application that’s currently associated with it.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your patience and detailed explanation, it’s much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.