Reddit Ads appearing

Did the issue present with default Shields settings?
Yes

Where and how do the ads appear? (fill out below)
Reddit.com. Shields active - block ads, block 3rd party cookies, block all fingerprinting.
On the homepage, and other parts of the website too. You can see the 300x600 and the 300x250 units. Sometimes the ad’s weirdly disappear when you scroll though. Maybe a glitch on the site.

URL where ad was displayed:

and

Reddit seems to be using images for their ads.

Screenshot of ad as it appears on the webpage:

Console Output (optional):

What Brave version/Build are you using? (See the About Brave page in the main menu)
Version 0.66.101 Chromium: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Sorry for the late response @ilkzz are you still seeing these? I did test it, plenty of blank space, but no ads so far.

I personally use https://old.reddit.com/ as a better/minimised option for reddit.

OP is probably talking about “promoted posts”. Brave is able to block the sidebar adds, but the adds Reddit themselves insert as “posts” are not handled.

Chrome + UBlock Origin blocks these, so currently that’s a much more comfortable experience than just Brave.

@ilkzz,
I believe the ads you’re seeing on Reddit are 1st party ads, which are not blocked by default in Brave.

We have a ticket for this,

2 Likes

Since posting, I haven’t actually seen ads since. I usually get blank spaces like you describe but unsure as to why on that day.

I’ll stay on the lookout to see if I can reproduce or report it if it happens again

1 Like

Native cosmetic filtering is coming, and it’ll eliminate most of the blank spaces.

Nice.

I’m in favour - while I get why you’d differentiate between 1st and 3rd part adds, the impact on end users is much the same.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.