Ads are back on various websites

I’m now being interrupted by ads again on such sites as nationalreview.com and ajc.com. It’s almost as bad as when I used Chrome. I uninstalled and reinstalled Brave, but the problem remains.

Description of the issue:

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave
Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Brave version (check About Brave):

Hey @rlrobb123 ! Welcome to the community :smiley:

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue.

What version of Brave are you on? and what OS? I can confirm that on the nightly version of Brave I am not seeing ads on the websites you provided here.

Porridge

Windows 10. Not sure about the Brave version, but what I found from looking around is this:

1.24.86 Chromium

Do you have any extensions installed on Brave? Can you also download the nightly version of Brave to see if you experience these issues? Download here : https://brave.com/download-nightly/

Thank you,

Porridge

Beats me if I have any extensions. I don’t think so – I installed only the basic Brave about a year and a half ago. I’ll download the nightly version.

There are still ads, but not the kind I was seeing this morning (they don’t interfere with reading the text, as this morning’s ads did).

This is interesting, could you please screenshot an example of the ads you are seeing on both the Nightly and Official builds?

I will look into this more and be back to you soon!

Also can you please attach a screenshot of your Shields panel? Click the Shields icon in the address bar and take a screenshot of that. Thank you!

Porridge

Hey @rlrobb123 ,

When you are on the websites in the Official build does Shield show that it is blocking any elements?

Also could you please create a new profile on the Official build to see if you are still seeing the ads?
Click on the Menu icon in the top right corner > create a new profile.

Thank you!

Porridge

I would love to, but I don’t know how to take a screenshot. I googled it, but the explanation said to save it press the PrtScr button and save the shot to my clipboard, and I don’t know where the clipboard is or how to find it. All explanations welcome (I don’t know anything about computers, obviously).

When you press PrtScr button it saves whats on your screen to your clipboard, what you can do is paste it into Paint and save it. Then attach that file here.

For more detailed steps :

1. Go the window you want to screen shot and press PrtScr.
  2. Press the windows button your keyboard and a submenu should appear.
  3. Enter the word “Paint” into the search in the sub menu.
  4. You should see an application called Paint, click on it.
  5. When it opens, press Ctrl and V at the same time, that will paste the image into Paint.
  6. In the top left corner of the window, click on File.
  7. In the drop down menu that appears, click on Save as.
  8. Browse to a destination folder of your choosing and save the file there.

Do this for all the images you want to save.

When you want to attach the file here in this thread, click on reply and in the textbox that appears you will see some icons above the area where you can type. Click on the one with the arrow, this will prompt you to select the file you want to attach.

I hope this helped and if you need any clarification, please let me know!

Porridge

@rlrobb123,
@GreenBananaPorridge’s steps are accurate for using the PrtScr button but does involve several steps. It may be easier for you to use the built-in Snip & sketch app that comes with Windows. It’s very easy to use:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-take-and-annotate-screenshots-on-windows-10-ca08e124-cc30-2579-3e55-6db63e36fbb9

Once you take your screenshot, you can simply copy the image and paste it directly here in the editor.

1 Like

Also, the National Review site is running very slowly. Clicking from one article to another takes forever. Maybe the problem is with the site.

@rlrobb123,
Thank you for the screenshot.
So Brave’s built-in ad blocker (Shields) should be blocking these ads and, further, you should see the number of items blocked on any website denoted on the Shields icon in the address bar (example below):

However, I see that in your screenshot, Shields is not reporting any blocked items. So we’ll need to figure out why this is the case. Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through all the troubleshooting steps involved.

First, while on nationalreview.com, can you click on that Shields icon in the address bar, then click on Advanced view, then send me a screenshot of the full panel (example below):

?

Next, open a new tab in Brave and in the address bar type brave://components and hit enter. On this page, look for Brave Ad Block Updater in the list of components and tell me what version you have listed (you can also simply take a screenshot of this and send it as well, whatever is easiest for you):

1 Like

I just checked this, and under a clean profile. Brave is blocking all the ads, I couldn’t reproduce the ads in the screenshot. I would re-test in private window mode

Is this what you need?

1 Like

Brave Ad Block Updater - Version: 1.0.946

Status - Up-to-date

@rlrobb123,
Yep – that’s perfect.
So for some reason Shields doesn’t appear to be blocking any content for you, despite being enabled and up to date. I have a couple more tests for you and I do appreciate your patience while troubleshooting.

This test is easy, can you open a private browsing window (in Brave, go to Menu --> New private window), visit nationalreview.com and see if you get the same results?