PSA: Unsupported Region

Sorry, I missed the weekly update here. There wasn’t much shared with us officially. Brave is still working on getting countries back and making progress on the new exchange that will be coming, which will allow us more options in terms of custodial partners. We still are at 28 countries on the list for Uphold, which was expanded from just 18 a couple weeks prior. So there is progress being made.

Unofficially, I’d like to encourage people from India to try to see if they can link to Uphold. The reason for this is someone had posted a few days ago that they and their friends were able to link to Uphold despite being from India. The primary User had already linked to Uphold in the past and the friends supposedly were new.

Treat this as an experiment. Worst case is it will be as officially announced, which means will still show not in a supported region. But if the User is correct and it will let you link, then would be quite awesome.

Any updates for Brazil? They could’nt answer, bescause they do nothing :)))

Any updates for Czech Republic?

I don’t think that there’s any updates. I guess, Uphold’s still working on Brazil and some other countries. Same for @bkf1

still not working for me.

1 Like

I appreciate the job the moderators are trying to do, but I think that there’s a lot that could be disclosed to Brave users, to even help them make a decision. The replies that we are getting are basically nothing. “Uphold is working around frauds to re-establish connection with Brazil”. We should have been getting updates from Uphold, not Brave moderators. I have worked with companies that do compliance and I can say with some safety that that is hardly all the info Brave is getting from them.

Advice? Get full reports. A weekly post saying the exact same thing over and over doesn’t do much to nighter the users or the platform. Because Brave will start to lose users, and users won’t be going to brave nor uphold because “”“something doesn’t seem right”“” about the rewards program. How can I have an uphold account hosted in Brazil and not be able to connect wit Uphold? That is the logic.

But anyway… Let’s wait for the next chapter

It is because it’s Brave that stopped supporting Brazil to let users Verify/ Re-connect to a custodian. It is because many people in such regions have been exploiting the rewards program. As for some regions, the government has certain rules about crypto which is making it hard to roll Rewards in that particular region (For example, India). Regions can still be earning BATs but they aren’t supported for connecting to a custodian wallet.
What Brave basically did was that they stopped supporting countries which were not so easy to manage. They support countries where they have things more in control, not necessarily perfect.

I asked Uphold and Brave about the same issue. What is the answer? They say this restriction is the responsibility of the partner, not theirs. What do you think when you say that I didn’t read what I asked carefully?

I said you didn’t read this topic or the official announcements. For example:

Then let’s look at the original announcements over at places like NOTICE: New region restrictions on verifying Brave Rewards with Uphold

In consultation with the team at Uphold, verifying Brave Rewards with an Uphold account will now only be available in the following countries of registration,

Notice how it doesn’t say “Uphold withdrew support” or “countries can’t connect because of Uphold?” Instead, it lets us know that Brave was consulting with Uphold and (Brave) limited connections as a result.

Come back to this topic again, under Original Post part.

But what we wanted to do in this latest round is say, ok, let’s constrain it down to countries we have been comfortable with and had the least amount of issues.

We’re hoping over the next couple of weeks is that we’re going to put some more kind of controls and protections in place with those custodial partners and will start to bring regions back.

So when you say things like this, it was showing you didn’t read. Because you wouldn’t have had to write into Uphold. You’d have known that Brave said they were the ones to limit connections while they work on a few things. Yes, Uphold and Gemini are working with Brave to implement changes. However, the final say is with Brave and so Uphold won’t be able to tell you anything. Uphold just will advise you that they still offer services in your area.

UPDATE 11/02/2022

In yesterday’s call, they didn’t have much to say except still working with Uphold and Gemini to bring countries back and make necessary changes. Brazil is back on their primary focus again (supposedly). If all goes well, it will return before too long.

When asked if they still think regions will be brought back by the end of the year, they said yes.

Outside of the call with a different person from Brave, there was a discussion about Turkey, where it was also said to be in the works and likely returning soon. So that’s essentially the latest for now.

1 Like

What about Argentina?

You explain in great detail.
As far as I understand, users in 174 countries will be waiting for the simultaneous change of Brave and Uphold to have the same benefits as the 19 countries that are enjoying the current policy. And it is possible that many of these countries will find it difficult to return to the support list in the near future. Do I understand that right?

Yes. Some countries might take longer or might never be able to be supported.

That’s the problem. Currently, many countries that do not ban and do not legalize cryptocurrencies remain on the unsupported list. Blockchain is used to connect people. I think it will have something special than traditional finance with many barriers including the impediment of each country’s laws. It still applies here somehow. This limitation is not only available in Brave, Uphold, Gemini, and bitFlyer but also Coinbase, and Paypal. Regardless of the platform, they have a list of unsupported countries. They are actually very similar. :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I think I will move back to more recognised browsers (chrome or firefox) by next month, if the issue is not fixed for my country (india). It was never really mainly cause of the rewards but in general there are still a lot of issues that brave have to figure out if they wish to compete with major browsers in the market, and awarding 2 BATs per month is not the way to do that. Seeing no ads was a major decision for me to move to this browser, but it seems its also not working properly (I raised this issue but there was no response from brave). So if the main thing doesn’t work that brave advertises then I don’t think its any good than any other browsers in the market right now.

3 Likes

What do you mean by ‘You still get ads’ ?
You might get ads on some websites because the Ad - Block hasn’t been able to block them out. Such issues are handled by and noted by @fanboynz pretty quickly and gives a solution too.
Overall, its your decision if you want to keep continue using Brave or shift to another Browser.

1 Like

Why can’t I receive tips now? Previously, I could receive tips with/without linking my Uphold account.

I think Brave is intentionally making it harder for users, but why?

1 Like

I think this is only true for existing users that have already linked their accounts, new users can not link their account and as a new user, I just tried and failed :slight_smile:

3 Likes