Password filling not working in iOS

Description of the issue:

I have Brave installed on both my iPhone and iPad, and part of a sync chain with my two Windows devices. I can confirm by going to Settings → Logins and Passwords that my saved passwords are present on my iOS devices and syncing. However, for most sites I get no auto-population of username or password into either field, and I see no option to choose a username and password combo from a list. This is not universal… it has worked on some sites. I can’t detect a pattern so far.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. On Brave for Windows, create, login, and save a password for https://chat.openai.com
  2. On Brave for iOS, open https://chat.openai.com and choose the option to log in

Expected result:

Username is either auto-populated or can be selected from a list. Instead, the username field is blank and you must type it manually. After typing it and choosing “Continue”, the password is should also be autopopulated and choosable from a list, but it also must be typed manually.

Brave Version: 1.48.1 (23.3.2.0)

Mobile Device details: iPhone 12 Mini running iOS 16.3.1

1 Like

Hi there @apsociallife please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. Does usernames and password autopopulate on other Chromium based browsers such as Chrome or Edge?

If it only fails on Brave, please let me know.

I’m not sure if things have changed, but this older topic may yet be relevant as to what’s happening. I’ll tag @michal to see if he might be able to confirm if still might be what’s going on.

I tried on Microsoft Edge which I already had set up (just got laid off from the Microsoft Edge team in fact) and it works fine. Neither browser auto-populates the username, but Edge shows me an option to fill it in and Brave does not. And FWIW, the next step of filling in the password also works on Edge and not on Brave.

I haven’t had any issues saving passwords from Brave for iOS. However, I did try completing an autofill from a common page where both username and password fields are showing at the same time (www.fidelity.com) and had the same result, where it did not work in Brave and did in Edge.

1 Like

@apsociallife I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, I will get back to you as soon as possible. @Mattches

Thanks! I’m happy to try anything to troubleshoot. I want to continue using Brave, but password roaming is a big deal.

this is not just limited to Brave, it has always been a problem on iOS with third-party browsers. Edge shows you your username / password above the keyboard for easy selection, which is something Brave could work on maybe.

i cheat, i use and third-party password manager on desktop Brave and have the same one installed as my default password manager on iOS

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.