Open Gmail attachment Outgoing email

If I’m understanding you correctly, you’re saying you think it should just open the attachment without ever trying to download. I mean, why does it have to save or download if it’s already on your device?

When I tested this in Chrome and in Brave, it always has to download again. It’s seeing it as a fresh download because it’s a file removed from your computer, it’s no longer carrying the location info of where it’s stored on your device. I mean, it’s not like when you sent it to the other person that they are going to see you had it on C:\Users\Name\Pictures\ or that it would replicate there. So it’s asking where to put it.

So there’s two settings to look at if you want it to just automatically download and open without you clicking on extra buttons.

1. brave://settings/downloads where you’d have to disable the toggle for Ask where to save each file before downloading.

2. The button that Mattches showed you. That button for him is when the file is downloaded, the thing you usually click on to open. I have an arrow pointing and circled it in blue below.

Inbox

Once you click that, it opens up with the menu like Mattches shared.

Of course, toggling it that way means 2 things.

• All downloads will happen without asking you if you’d like to save
  • All JPEG will automatically open when you download them.

So not quite sure that’s what you want, but seems to be the primary option being suggested for now. Not sure if @Mattches or anyone else might have a better solution of their sleeve.

And yes, I did mine on Windows 10 Pro. So the options are there and it works.

1 Like