NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue

From: Brave Autofill/Saved Passwords Lost - #3 by Garland

Description of the issue:
Brave no longer has my saved passwords under Settings > Autofill > Password Manager.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Check under the “three bars” on the top right - Settings > Autofill > Password Manager.
    Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
    No passwords are there, new passwords can be added however.
    Expected result:
    Passwords are there and able to be used to log into websites.
    Reproduces how often:
    Persistent, even after restart of Brave and/or system. Issue first presented after a repo software upgrade of Brave, I think.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
I’m working with Manjaro Linux 22.1.1, kernel 6.1.26-1 and Brave version 1.51.114-2 installed through the Manjaro repo.

Additional Information:
I do not believe that I configured Brave to a specific setting or profile. I do not use Sync or have cleared history, to my knowledge. I have the same system user account/password as I’ve had since Brave had my saved passwords, and the same KDE Wallet keyring password. The file ‘/home/user/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login\ Data’ exists and seems to have the old data in it.

Histogram file shows only this:

• Histogram: OSCrypt.BackendUsage recorded 1 samples, mean = 12.0 (flags = 0x41) [#]

0 …
12 -O (1 = 100.0%) {0.0%}
13 …

• Histogram: OSCrypt.Linux.DecryptedWithEmptyKey recorded 155 samples, mean = 0.0 (flags = 0x41) [#]

0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------O (155 = 100.0%)
1 …

Attachment
Shows what is in the Autofill window; there are like spots where the passwords would be, but no information filled there.

Do KDE users simply upgrade to the latest version of Brave from git? Or is it safer to wait until that version gets cleared for the repos? @clifton If you have any recommendations, thank you.

1 Like