NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue

Build:22621.1072
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics
GPU:Radeon Graphics
Memory:7.3GB
Manufacturer: Lenovo
Product Name: Lenovo Ideapad 3 14ALC6
Brave Version:1.50.121 Chromium: 112.0.5615.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

So i basically update windows it was an optional update then i rebooted then i shutdown my computer with fast startup enabled next morning i was checking some stuff then i realized that brave was running so i closed it with task manager then i opened it later to see that it was like brand new again like when i first installed it it asked me to set as default when it already was i did not check if it was when it was asking for being the default browser i said yes then it showed up data recovery from other browser i said skip then i entered in the browser to see that all my pins and brave stats was reset to default and same with my extension pins but they were still there in the extensions my browser data stayed the same but my logins in youtube and google and microsoft websites were reset to base it still remembers the name and stuff other than the password that i inpputed in those website i never really saved my passwords in brave it also shows in the about page for brave dose this have anything related with the problem:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154).

Learn more

I downgraded to 1.50.125. restart my laptop, but I still can’t access my password. Is there something I need to do after I downgrade?

Now 1.51.114 for linux s.o. is available…

for all those who have lost their password and bookmark data, it fix the problem???

Or is better to wait?

@PassWoRD: I can only tell for Linux. I have used brave-nightly, brave-dev and brave-stable. The issue walks in with a version higher than 1.50.125 and went out with version 1.53.x, which is only available at “nightly” for the moment. All who use stable or devel must wait until 1.53 reaches these branches.

@Blackadam: At my Arch Linux there was nothing else neccessary than downgrading to 1.50.125

The problem went out with 1.53.x does it mean that the data is recovered with the version or that from this version it stops only erasing (so all previous data are permanently lost)?

Two systems (laptop and pc)
Kubuntu 20.04 update (5.15.0-71-generic kernel)
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
and
Brave browser update 1.51.110 (from 1.50.125)
no Sync

Two days ago I discover all my saved passwords lost in the laptop, I start watch community.brave.com without a valid solution.
Disappointed to discover the lack of solution, I decide to export the saved password from pc to laptop to buffer the problem ( I use the system in different time, so not all data are saved in both)
Yesterday at the end of the day, I discover that my pc lost passwords and bookmarks (!!), so I hasten to export bookmarks from laptop.
Today my laptop has not yet lost bookmarks…

I did not change passwords
I did not copy the profile from another machine
I don’t use any sync feature all are saved in my local files on pc

“Problem went out” means that if you use 1.53.x it feels that there never have been an issue before. All your stored passwords are accessible, Brave Sync works again (if in use). It is important that you have not made much dust when the problem pops out. Resetting something in brwoser settings, importing or exporting with the broken versions or deleting / copying in the Brave folder of your home may destroy something.

Quick heads up that we did have a fix land for Linux users using KDE. It’s landed in Nightly and will be making it’s way to Beta and Release channel soon :slightly_smiling_face:

More info here

We’re still looking at the other cases. Thanks for your patience

3 Likes

Thank you :pray:
I hope to see this fix soon

FWIW, I updated to opensuse:tumbleweed:20230510 which includes Brave Version 1.51.114 Chromium: 113.0.5672.92 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Re-test Results:
There was no change from my previous test of Brave 1.51.110: all my password entries are still in ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login Data but they are not seen by Brave.

Again, I do not use Sync.

Hello, same issue here, all passwords disappeared this morning. My OS is Windows 10, but I’m quite informatically illiterate. Tried downgrading Brave, but it didn’t work. Didn’t uninstall the newest version. Any other try for dummies?

Uploaded Crash Report ID: a5af0200-fde7-110a-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Friday, May 12, 2023 at 11:18:45 AM

So I just need to wait until 1.53x is released for desktop? Tried to put Nightly on my phone and sync it with desktop but made no difference. Synced everything, didn’t even copy newly saved passwords.

About dust, I tried to copy Login Data file into Nightly for desktop, but it also made no difference.

• OS: Linux; Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS; Release: 20.04; Codename: focal;
  • Version 1.51.114 Chromium: 113.0.5672.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Updated via sudo apt-get 2 hours ago, after first start, Brave opened immediately into a Tor Browser
  • Lost data appears to include passwords only. Bookmarks, Top sites, front page settings, security setings all appear to be normal.
  • NOT using Brave Sync.
  • I have histograms (they are extremely minimal)
  • There is NO pathway: ~/.config/Brave-browser/User data/Default
    There is NO pathway: ~/.config/Brave-browser
    There IS a pathway: ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser
    There is NO pathway: ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/User data
    There IS a pathway: ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login Data (72 KB), and it DOES appear to contain appropriate data.
1 Like

From: Brave Autofill/Saved Passwords Lost - #3 by Garland

Description of the issue:
Brave no longer has my saved passwords under Settings > Autofill > Password Manager.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Check under the “three bars” on the top right - Settings > Autofill > Password Manager.
    Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
    No passwords are there, new passwords can be added however.
    Expected result:
    Passwords are there and able to be used to log into websites.
    Reproduces how often:
    Persistent, even after restart of Brave and/or system. Issue first presented after a repo software upgrade of Brave, I think.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
I’m working with Manjaro Linux 22.1.1, kernel 6.1.26-1 and Brave version 1.51.114-2 installed through the Manjaro repo.

Additional Information:
I do not believe that I configured Brave to a specific setting or profile. I do not use Sync or have cleared history, to my knowledge. I have the same system user account/password as I’ve had since Brave had my saved passwords, and the same KDE Wallet keyring password. The file ‘/home/user/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login\ Data’ exists and seems to have the old data in it.

Histogram file shows only this:

• Histogram: OSCrypt.BackendUsage recorded 1 samples, mean = 12.0 (flags = 0x41) [#]

0 …
12 -O (1 = 100.0%) {0.0%}
13 …

• Histogram: OSCrypt.Linux.DecryptedWithEmptyKey recorded 155 samples, mean = 0.0 (flags = 0x41) [#]

0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------O (155 = 100.0%)
1 …

Attachment
Shows what is in the Autofill window; there are like spots where the passwords would be, but no information filled there.

Do KDE users simply upgrade to the latest version of Brave from git? Or is it safer to wait until that version gets cleared for the repos? @clifton If you have any recommendations, thank you.

1 Like

Hi, a day ago I just lost all of my passwords. Was unavailable to recover them from login data files, used the 3-rd party software to decode the sqlite database and everything besides of passwords was correct. The passwords are only problem there, because I’ve already checked all history, bookmarks etc, I have pretty long Histogram, sync is off, my OS is Windows 10, I did not cleared the history, cookies, or anything like that. Having latest version of Brave, 1.51.114. Worth to mention is that now if I will save the password and go to the password manager the current pass is shown, other ones still empty on other software and invisible in pass manager.
Waiting for your feedback :slight_smile:

@Thrive,
The very first thing stated in this post:

Just wanting to let everyone know that we are still digging into this and that all of your information/reporting is very helpful and we really appreciate it.

Hope to have more information for you soon.

1 Like

The problem was with Uphold. They finally confirmed they changed their security settings to log us out after 15 mins with no activity. It’s dumb because the only way you can keep checking your balance on the dashboard is by an occasional refresh throughout the day (not every 15 mins). Now I have to log in every time. :frowning:

Is chromium based. Then build your own?