New tab switcher (normal/private) on Android less efficient and functional than before

Description of the issue: when viewing open tabs on my phone, I used to be able to easily swipe left to get to private tabs and right to get to normal ones. Now I have to click on a little icon at the top of the screen (far from my thumb) to toggle between those views, and even if only 1 tab is open it’s displayed in a small thumbnail even though there is far more space on the screen to show it. This means that more movements are needed to move between tab regular/private tabs, and the content in each tab is less visible than it was before.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Click three dots and open a new private tab
  2. Click tab button on the bottom toolbar to open the tab switcher
  3. Observe the issues referenced above

Expected result: I preferred the previous behaviour. When I click on the tab switcher, my tabs should be stacked (one stack of regular tabs, one stack of private tabs), and the active tab should use most of the screen to display. The option to switch between stacked and tiled tab views in settings would be acceptable. To move between regular and private tabs, I should be able to swipe left or right and not have to access a button at the top of the screen. Alternatively, if a button will be required, add a toggle to the main button bar at the bottom of the screen.

Brave Version( check About Brave): 1.36.122, Chromium 99.0.4844.88

Mobile Device details: Samsung S71, Android 11 Build RP1A.200720.012

Thank you for reaching out.
This sounds more like a feature request than anything. AFAIK, this has been the functionality for quite some time now and is the intended functionally. I’ve moved this thread into the #brave-feature-requests section.

The current behavior (with the icons at the top of the screen for regular and private tabs) wasn’t the case on my device until a week or so ago, so it does seem to have been a change. Would this be addressed in release notes?

These icons at the top of the screen have been implemented for some time now. Is it possible that you were using a very old version of the browser up until you updated?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.