Manifest V3- ublock support?

So there’s the whole manifest v3 thing which will gimp third party adblockers. Brave Shields is built in so won’t be effected. However, I consider ublock origin to be the most important extension I have, its functionality is superior to others imo, and it’s also most likely to be updated vs anti adblock stuff like how Youtube is doing recently.

I saw this tweet https://twitter.com/brave/status/1574822799700541446 which was very nice. However I saw elsewhere Brave devs claiming they don’t know if they’ll continue to support manifest V2 after enterprise support ends, and if they do for how long. So I’m wondering, is Brave committed to at least supporting the necessary functions/calls that ublock origin would need once v3 launches, or does the tweet just mean “we’ll support them after Chrome stops (for a year only until the business extension ends)”?

1 Like

Hello, on your official Twitter account, publicize the topic of ad blockers.

@firion Brave has long said they will be working with uBlock and other extensions to offer support for as long as possible. Nobody knows when that will end or how things will evolve.

The only thing that can be spoken with absolute certainty right now is that Brave has built in Shields using Rust and therefore won’t be impacted with Manifest V3. This is something they have long been explaining to people and we have linked in places such as * Will Shields still work after Manifest V3? and then even greater discussion on it and other things at https://brave.com/web-standards-at-brave/6-privacy-sandbox-concerns/

You should be able to find articles such as https://www.ghacks.net/2022/09/29/brave-browser-manifest-v2-extensions-after-v3-update/ as well.

That makes sense, just wish we knew more, but I guess Brave itself doesn’t know either since we don’t know how Google is going to implement it exactly.

Like I said ublock origin is my most important extension, shields seems cool but it just isn’t as good from everything I’ve seen. If support for full featured ublock gets dropped I’d have to do a firefox based browser instead, and if I have to do that eventually, might aswell do it now and get it over with.

1 Like

In which way?

Shields essentially uses all the same filters and rules that you get on uBlock and they are constantly working on making improvements. I know on Desktop and Android, Shields has worked flawlessly for me on pretty much all websites. The only struggle I have is on iOS versions, but that’s due to Apple’s restrictions of how browsers and all work.

I would be curious to hear how you’re saying Shields hasn’t worked as well for you or what features you’re saying are available in uBlock that you feel are missing for Shields?

Brave has said that they will NOT support v2 extensions after Google fully moves to v3. They’re trying to be as evasive as possible to keep people from jumping ship to secure versions of Firefox where all extensions will continue to work correctly.

Rust is nowhere near as effective as uBlock Origin, Ghostery, etc

Surprised no one with Brave is willing to explain EXACTLY how long Brave will support v2 extensions.

@lquinta nobody even knows when Google is going to do Manifest V3 nor how anything else is going to work afterwards. All that is known is that Brave has Shields into Rust and won’t be impacted. Everything else is a work in progress.

Manifest V3 has been spoken about for years now. At one point it was supposed to go into effect for January 2023. It keeps getting pushed back. Even with some of the recent articles saying it’s not happening until June 2024 now.

Not sure why you and others are expecting people or companies to be fortune tellers. They’ll address things as time comes and they can give more accurate and affirmative answers. Anything said now just would be speculation.

I find it surprising that no one with Brave is willing to explain EXACTLY how long Brave will support v2 extenstions. This has NOTHING to do with the timing of the v3 release.

Firefox has said that they’ll continue to support v2 extenstions after the v3 release. Brave is incredibly silent on that issue.

Repeating the same question again won’t change anything.

• Manifest V3 has already been supported in the browser for quite a while now – hence why uBlock Origin Lite works.

• Manifest V2 is also currently supported in the browser – hence why the original uBlock Origin still currently works.

• Google is going to disable Manifest V2 support in Chromium soon (possibly from June 2024), which will effect Chrome and all Chromium-based browsers. Enterprise users will get a slightly longer grace period to transition and Google will continue to support Manifest V2 for them during this period. As the Manifest V2 code will still be in the browser and actively maintained by Google, browser makers will be able to take advantage of it during this period too.

• Nobody knows when Google will completely remove Manifest V2 from Chromium – except Google.

• Once Google removes Manifest V2 for Enterprise users as well, no Chromium browser makers except Microsoft will have the resources to keep Manifest V2 going. And Microsoft isn’t going to pay developers to do this, as it will be expensive and they will gain nothing from doing so (they are also an advertising company like Google).

Manifest V2 is going away. If you want an exact date, then you will need to ask Google when they’re going to completely remove Manifest V2 from Chromium. However, they won’t tell you as they likely don’t know themselves yet. It’s pointless asking third-party developers for a date, because it’s not their decision.

For normal users, Brave Shields is a good alternative. For Enterprise users, it’s going to be problematic because it’s not possible to control Brave Shields via Group Policy.

1 Like

AGAIN, no one asked for a date. It seems like a common excuse to avoid answering the question being asked.

Firefox has publically committed to maintaining V2 support so it’s disappointing that Brave has no intention of doing the same.

Brave shields still letting in way too much garbage that uBlock Origin catches.

Hopefully the devs will figure out how to copy Firefox and keep V2 extensions active long after Google pulls support from Chromium.

TL;DR: Chromium based browsers will start to receive RES MV3 support in the next month, Firefox will follow when it reaches feature parity.

RES development has mostly ground to a halt, however we have been watching Chromes plan to push MV3, and recently they announced they are resuming the transitions with timelines for this year.

What will change for me on Chrome (or Chromium based browsers)?

Hopefully nothing, we are currently testing the change and so far appears to be slightly more performant with no major issues. However RES is complex and we expect things may break. When we start to roll this out, we will do a gradual release to allow us to identify if something goes wrong and halt the rollout. This may also prompt permission changes due to how MV3 handles them.

What will change for me on Firefox?

Nothing, Firefox will continue to be MV2 as theres no timelines and it is not feature parity. However there may be a new permission prompt for ‘scripting’ to allow us to use a MV3 API that got backported to MV2. If Firefox provides a timeline, we will work on compat then. As a side note we are investigating Firefox for Android support (although no promises).