Macbook -> iOS: Can't Access Safe Storage

I use Brave on my Macbook, and i’m trying to synch my iPhone so i can use the passwords saved on my mac on my iphone. I’m using Brave 1.146.140 and my iPhone is 1.45.2 (22.11.29.0). I went into my keychain on my macbook and under Login > Brave Safe Storage > Access Control - “confirm before allowing access” and “ask for keychain password” are both checked off, and the Brave icon is in the box below “Always allow access by these applications”. I restarted Brave on macbook, and went to settings > synch > manage your sync devices - and I still get this error message: Brave could not access your operating system’s safe storage. This is what’s used to secure data such as passwords and cookies; it’s also required for Brave Sync to connect your browser profile between devices. This means Brave Sync is not running. To resolve this issue, please see the Brave Sync troubleshooting guide.

I can’t find my synch phrase, or reset the synch phrase. I’m stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Reproduces how often:

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:

Additional Information:

1 Like

Hi @AlphaAcid welcome to Community :wave:

Have you taken a look at our troubleshoot guide for macOS?

Users on macOS seeing this error message should see a notification prompting you to enter your password to the keychain, as shown below, granting safe storage access to the browser:

If you do not see this prompt but are still seeing the error, you can still grant access manually by:

1. Open theKeychain Access app
  2. Choose Login under theDefault keychains section on the left
  3. FindBrave Safe Storage
  4. Click onAccess control and check to see if Brave Browser is listed here:

If it is not, click the+ button and add it, thenSave changes (you’ll have to re-enter your password).
1 Like

I followed those steps, and it’s still not working. I even deleted the brave browers from the Brave Safe Storage settings, and then added it. I rebooted Brave. I’m still getting the error message in the synch settings on my macbook.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

Could you try the solution below and retry the troubleshooting steps.
Do let me know if this resolves your issue.

1 Like

So I need to uninstall brave browser? I"m confused by that post. What’s “Support/BraveSoftware”?

If I delete Brave, I will lose all my saved passwords, and my wallet!!

1 Like

@AlphaAcid Just to confirm when you selected Ask for keychain password and selected Brave Browser, did you save changes? Also did you get a pop up to fill in your ‘login’ keychain password afterwards?

1 Like

Yes to all of this. Synch still not working.

1 Like

Hi @AlphaAcid just as an update, this is an issue our team is working on at the moment.

In the meantime, a temporary fix is re-join the sync chain. You can do so by:

1. Taking the codes from another device in the sync chain
  2. Open brave://sync-internals, press Disable Sync (Clear Data)
  3. Open page brave://settings/braveSync/setup and re-enter the code words.

Do let me know if this works.

1 Like

Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1

1 Like

I think that did it. I could then add my iphone to the synch.

1 Like

Follow step 3 and let me know if you are able to add your iPhone.

1 Like