Brave Sync doesn't work after fresh install with a backup of the BraveSoftware folder

Description of the issue:

This is somewhat similar to this issue.

I had to wipe my computer and reinstall my MacOS. I backed up the ~/Library/Application\ Support/BraveSoftware folder, then after reinstalling MacOS and Brave, I replaced the newly created BraveSoftware folder with my backup. Everything seems to work, except for Brave Sync, for which I’m getting the “Brave could not access your operating system’s safe storage” message. I followed the troubleshooting guide, but my keychain entry seems to already have Brave listed under Access Control. I removed the app from Access Control and re-added it, but that didn’t help.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Set up Brave Sync
  2. Create a backup of ~/Library/Application\ Support/BraveSoftware
  3. Uninstall Brave and make sure to delete ~/Library/Application\ Support/BraveSoftware
  4. Install Brave again
  5. Replace new ~/Library/Application\ Support/BraveSoftware folder with backup
  6. Check if Brave Sync is working

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Version 1.45.123 Chromium: 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2020, running MacOS Ventura. 13.0.1 (22A400)

This happens if the User/password is different. You’ll find the detailed instructions of what to do at BRAVE Sync - ERROR SECURE STORAGE - SYNC DISABLED - #6 by Mattches

I understand you’ve likely already done the MacOS steps, but if you go to the bottom of that you’ll see the steps for Windows users. You may need to default to that, where you go to Sync Internals and clear data, then add the device to sync again.

Thank you for the quick reply! This has, indeed, fixed the problem.

1 Like