Lost all my data

Description of the issue:
Hello, I closed Brave and shut down my laptop last night, like I did for the past hundreds of days. When I opened Brave this morning, almost everything was gone; passwords and profiles are gone but all cookies and bookmarks are still there, plus in User Data I still have my profiles and a lot of encrypted passwords, how do I get everything back…?

In About Brave, I have this error message (in French):

Une erreur s’est produite pendant la vérification des mises à jour : Échec du lancement de la vérification des mises à jour (code d’erreur 3: 0x80040154 – system level).

“clear browser data on exit” was always disabled, unchecked.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Quit Brave (Shutdown laptop)
  2. Open Brave

Expected result:
Nothing changes.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.46.134 Chromium: 108.0.5359.94 (Build officiel) (64 bits)

Additional Information:

@Mattches Could you help ?
Thanks so much!
KEEP IN MIND THAT SUPPORT MIGHT NOT BE ACTIVE SINCE ITS A WEEKEND IN THE US AND GENERALLY TEAM WORKS ONLY WEEKDAYS

1 Like

@Kurama,
Thank you for reaching out. I’d like to get your browser updated first to see if this fixes the issue with your data. Can you first try simply re-downloading and running the installer from the official Brave website? Note that you do not need to uninstall anything and no data will be overwritten — running the installer again will just attempt to apply the latest updates.

Hello, I did it just now. Brave is now up to date (Version 1.48.171), nothing has changed.
Thank you for your answer.

Hi, I have the same problem. I updated, restarted the computer but no change.

Thank you all for reporting — I’m discussing this issue with the team as other users have faced the same thing. We are not clear on what exactly is causing this behavior. Can anyone reporting here confirm what Windows version they’re using at this time?

Thank you

Windows 11 22H2, 64 bits.

1 Like

Still nothing? I really need everything back.

It is a weekend in the US. Usually team is only active on weekdays.

One week after, still nothing…

Well, I’ll tag @mattches to ask if any updates. Thanks.

1 Like

Apologies — I’ve been on PTO and just got back this week.
I can confirm that the devs are looking into the larger issue here but cannot say when it will be resolved. Further I cannot guarantee that there is any way to get your data back at this point. That said, I will be sure to confirm this with the devs when we have more information.

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.