Is there a program file where Brave Bookmarks are stored where I might be able to retrieve all my "old" Brave bookmarks? (Browsing history would be nice, too.)

Description of the issue:
Windows 10 Pro crashed and I had to clean reinstall Windows. I was able to save the “old” Windows operating system and data.
Is there a file where Brave Bookmarks are stored where I might be able to retrieve all my Brave bookmarks? (Browsing history would be nice, too.)

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Re-install Windows 10 Pro?

Expected result:
Recover all “old” Brave Bookmarks (and browsing history.)

Brave Version:
Version 1.67.123 Chromium: 126.0.6478.126 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

2 Likes

Location of bookmarks:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\bookmarks

It’s a text file with highly structured formatting. You can view it with Notepad, but I do not suggest editing it that way.

There is also one generation of automatic backup
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\bookmarks.bak

3 Likes

Thanks, so much!!! I was also able to use the “Favicons” and “History” files and copy those to the respective Folders in my new Brave install and overwrite the current files.
(All while the current Brave browser was closed.)
I can’t tell for sure yet, but it looks like I just about restored all my old Brave Bookmarks and history.
I am very HAPPY!!! :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

I make regular zipped backups of the User Data folder for just such eventualities. And yes I’ve needed it a few times.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.