Import extension data & settings from Chrome

Description of the issue:
I have imported everything from Chrome to Brave, but the Extensions data & settings (i.e., the Marinara Pomodoro settings or the Notion Saver tables) are not imported.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Instead of showing the Extension + data (left, on Chrome), it shows the extension on barebones (right, on Brave):

Note: This is an example from the Notion Saver extension, but it happens on every Extension.

Expected result:
I’d like to have the ability to import the Extension plus the data & settings. Similarly to the process of migrating between Android phones: the apps plus the app data is migrated.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

• Version 1.31.91 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Ubuntu 18.04

Additional Information:
I don’t know if this is a bug or a feature. I’d like to see the case and whether Brave plans to fix/support it. I want to give Brave a try, but the switching costs are too high without importing all the data automatically.

Hi, I don’t believe this is possible currently unfortunately. So I think submitting a feature request would be appropriate.

Some extensions (unfortunately, probably not most) offer an Export/Import feature which you could use; export on the old browser, import into the new. Some also can sync their settings to your ‘account’ – Google in Chrome’s case, or your Sync chain in Brave’s, but that doesn’t help you when you’re trying to change browsers.

1 Like

Hi @JimB1,

Thank you very much for your help. It’s sad to hear that.

I will open a feature request, and if this is implemented in the future, I will give Brave a try. I will stay with Chrome until then while keeping an eye on the Brave project, as I like it very much.

NP. That’s understandable, especially if you have a lot invested in extensions data.

Depending on how motivated you are, I did find a few links that might help make it possible to do ‘by hand.’ In theory it should be possible at least with some extensions, since the data may be stored locally. And in those cases where they are not, signing into the same service in the new instance (under Brave) I would expect to pull in all of that account’s data. (I’m surprised Notion doesn’t work like that, seems to me like it should see everything stored in your Notion account, if you’re signed into the extension.)

Not sure if it’s worth it to you to try some version of this, but if you do, I would recommend making sure you’ve got a backup of your local browser storage just in case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.