[HTTP ERROR 403] Google Drive won't let me download from shared files

Hi, I’ve recently downloaded Brave and made the switch from using Chrome. I love this browser so far, it has everything I need and it’s much safer and faster than any other browser. The only problem I’m having right now is I can’t download shared files or from shared folders in Google Drive.

I tried clearing my cache, browsing history, turning off the shield and even allowing cookies for Gdrive - but to no avail. I’ve repeatedly done these steps, leaving me frustrated and tempted to revert to my old browsers.

Please help me in fixing this. I want to be able to use Brave seamlessly (for other downloads I’m not having a problem, though).

Version 0.64.77 Chromium: 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@kayselya,
Thanks for reaching out!
Forgive me for asking but – you do have access to that page – correct? Just have to make sure!
In addition, can you tell me:

• Are there specific files on drive/shared drive that land you here or is it any/all? Further, can you download files from other sites?

• Are you able to download them while using a private window session?

• Are you connected to a VPN service?

• Do you have any extensions installed?

Hi! Thank you for the urgent response!

To answer your questions:

• Yes, I can download files from other sites.
  • No, I am not connected to a VPN service.
  • The only extensions installed in my browser are the ones already here when I installed Brave (Webtorrent, Hangouts).
  • And YES, I just tried it now, turns out I can download from a shared Google Drive folder using a private window.

It looks like I’ll just have to use a private window whenever I download.:sweat_smile:

But I also would like to know if the error can be fixed using a normal window and why it happens.

@kayselya,
I’m glad that worked – points to some issue with that specific site data. I know you said you’d cleared cookies and all that but I’d like to try the following:

1. Visit drive.google.com and click the “lock” icon on the left side of the address bar
  2. Click Site Settings
  3. Select Clear site data, then Reset Permissions
  4. Now scroll back to the top of the page and click the “back” arrow – this should land you in Content settings
  5. Go to Cookies --> See all cookies and site data
  6. Use the search box and run a search for drive.google.com
  7. Click Remove All Shown to clear any remaining cookie data for the site (if any).
  8. Relaunch Brave, visit and re-authenticate into drive – use default Shields settings.

Let me know if you’re able to download content from google drive after performing the above.

Tried and re-tried the steps. Sadly, still the same result. :disappointed_relieved:

@kayselya,
Interesting…:thinking::thinking:
Can you try making and using a new profile? It seems to be tied to your Default Brave profile data (drawing this from you using a private session successfully), this would help confirm.

Use the Manage People option, create a new profile. see if you can download.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.