How can I download youtube videos with Brave?

Hi folks, I am unable to download youtube videos using the Brave browser. Is there anything I can do about this?

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I have about 17 video download programs installed on my Brave browser and not one of them is able to download youtube videos.
  2. Downloading videos is an important and basic function for me and many others. Can’t Brave handle that basic function of a browser?
  3. I have done a quick search in the Brave community forum and I found other people complaining about the same problem but no solutions to this issue.
  4. This can be reproduced by installing any of many video download extensions onto Brave and then going to youtube and trying to download a video. One of the many video downloaders I have installed is called Video DownloadHelper, which works just fine on Firefox but doesn’t work on Brave.

Expected result:
Expected result: To be able to download youtube videos using the Brave browser.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave version: [Version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional Information:

Hello @explodingbee ! I am Acksel. I have tried experimenting with this as well. Looked into it, Google does not allow downloading of YouTube videos straight from extensions. But I did find a site that you could use to download them! https://en.savefrom.net/ Insert the link of your video in the search bar of this site. (I did test it and it is 100% safe. Once you insert the YouTube video link just hit download and do not click anything else if anything pops on the site. :slight_smile: I hope this helped!

Hey @explodingbee and @ACKSEL! Just as an alternative to those download websites (which I avoid as they act as a proxy service for something you can do yourself), you could try using the application youtube-dl. It allows for you to download videos from many sites (not just Youtube) directly to your computer. It can be a bit complicated to setup however I’ve included a script for Windows users that makes it easy (I can edit this post if you need a Linux based script).

Once you have downloaded the program, create a directory and place the application in it, then create a empty text file in the same directory and name it something like youtube-dl.ps1. This is a PowerShell script. Right-click and choose Edit, then copy and paste the following:

$url = Get-Clipboard
./youtube-dl.exe --format best[height<=?1440] --output "C:\%HOMEPATH%\Downloads\%(title)s-%(id)s-f%(format_id)s.%(ext)s" $url

After that all you need to do to download the video is copy the video URL and right-click the newly created script and click on Run with PowerShell. The video will then be downloaded to your Downloads folder directly from the website rather then going through a proxy service (which in most cases killls the quality of the video).

NOTE: In the script you will notice this line of code best[height<=?1440]. Set 1440 to your screen height that way you don’t download the best quality video (sometimes being 4K and up) and then running into the issue of not being able to play the video due to the lack of processing power to play it.

1 Like

Use https://invidio.us/

But downloaded 1080p videos will have no sound so for high quality use 720p

install the below and you can pretty much one or the other will grab and allow you to download your youtube video. both need their destop companion but both succeed where most others fail in chrome based browsers.