Description of the issue: Google Docs, Google Sheets, and other related GSuite products aren’t working due to formatting issues that only started early this morning. You can see screenshots of these issues below. [For context, the screenshots are of a doc about proper dumbbell technique and a sheet about popular songs from the early 1960’s.] This issue appears on all Docs and all Sheets without exception.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
I checked to see if it was Google, but only Brave users mentioned this issue, though they associated it with the use of MetaMask. I don’t have MetaMask (or any extensions for that matter) and I double-checked to make sure.
I tried other platforms. It works on Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and the Android Applications for Google Docs and Google Sheets. This issue is specific to the Brave Browser.
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I’m not sure what to put here.
Well, the cells and words shouldn’t overlap weirdly and flow off the page.
Reproduces how often:
I can’t get it to not do this, so I guess all the time right now?
Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 11 Pro, Brave Version 1.42.86 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
That’s all I can think of. I hope one of you smart people might have some suggestions!
Edit: Also, to clarify, I disabled all of the built in things on the settings for extensions like Hangouts, Private Window with Tor, etc. - in case that’s what you were asking. It didn’t change anything though.
Yes, I have the Metamask and yes, I found it to be the problem after disabling all my extensions one by one. With it disabled Google sheets works, with it on, it doesn’t. All other extensions do not affect Google sheets.
I figured it out! After much frustration, I decided to start toggling everything. In the Settings, under the Shields section, there’s an option called “Block Fingerprinting.” I had it set to “Aggressive” for a month or so, but Google must have released an update that breaks its own products if it can’t fingerprint/track you. I lowered the setting to “Standard” and now everything works.
I can’t help but feel a little angry that they’re so determined to surveil and control that they did this, but since I need these products for work, I’ll simply have to resign myself to submission.