Google accounts instead of brave sync

Brave sync doesn’t work for me, my device is being shown in the list but my bookmarks, history etc. do not show up. Nothing has been synchronized.

I use 2 google accounts in chrome, a personal one and a business one, and I often switch between the 2. So it would be very useful if, instead of brave sync, you would just add the “account” section just like in chrome. This is basically the only feature that keeps me from making brave my default browser.

2 Likes

no thanks, google gets enough info as it is. no need to give them more.

3 Likes

At least something to be able to save our settings and bookmarks. Also would like to be able to save the stats and be able to transfer them to new setups. The stats I am talking about are the time saves, https upgrades, and ads blocked. Even though is minor ive seen a lot of people on reddit taking pride in their numbers.

2 Likes

agree with that. i hate that sync in bave is ONLY for syncing between devices and not for backing up bookmarks, settings, and extensions like it should be and is in chromium, chrome, cent, vivaldi and i’m sure most chromium based browsers.

2 Likes

Agree definitely need to be able to back up info to sync on a new device upgrade or for uninstalling and reinstalling on a device. I just lost all stats, bookmarks, BAT, downloads and passwords uninstalling and reinstalling.

1 Like

Actually, I have a similar problem.
Originally, before brave, I had 2 accounts on chrome:
my personal and my business google account.

So I created 2 brave users:
One personal and synced my chrome/ google personal, and
one business and synced my chrome/ google business account.

Bookmarks, history, codes, etc. are all transferred and synced perfectly.

My problem is that brave sets an order on the google accounts and not a correspondence analogue, meaning that no matter on what account I am (on brave), when I select a google app (Callendar, Gmail, etc,) brave always opens my personal ones and I have to change to business within the google application,
so when I am working, I always and continually have to change accounts…

They should give that option for at least those who want to use it. Not, the browser history but just the bookmark sync with google account would be great.

1 Like

For me it’s the second time I try brave (last time was 2 years ago) because it seems to have made great improvements.

But not being able to sync (therefore save) usernames and passwords, bookmarks and all is for me the main issue with it. People using lastpass or other third party software won’t mind, but for the classical user it will stay an issue.
Google is a free password manager which is not the case of lastpass or dashlane for instance.

My two cents.

If you really believe that Google (or Facebook, or whatever) offers free services, just like a charitable institution, you’re on the wrong track.

2 Likes

Just going to note that we are never going to do this – if you want to use Google then use Chrome.

If you’re having an issue with Sync, open a thread and include as much (relevant) detail as possible and we would be happy to help you resolve it. Additionally, resolving an issue for one person may end up resolving it for several others, ultimately improving the product.

1 Like

“your the product” and all this ok.
Still for a majority of users, it’s factually free.

That’s an answer.
I’ll try sync functionnality but still, it’s not a save.
I’m just stuck between using brave and having to pay for a password manager, or keeping with Chrome.

Several final court rulings in the EU forced Google and Facebook to remove the “free” adjective from their home pages etc., which is why Facebook had to delete its iconic slogan “It’s free and it always will be” for example. So, “it’s factually free” is incorrect and even illegal; actually, it’s factually incorrect. US legislation is more permissive though.

Alright thanks for the legal aspect to this. Still the feel for the random user will still be of something free…
Thanks for the answer, I’ll have to do with the loss of a functionnality from one browser to another.

Bitwarden is a free and open source password manager that might be interesting

@bravbienmaispasouf,

Can you elaborate a bit? What exactly is the feature you’re missing here – password manager?

It’s not a bad idea, like the Firefox’s approach!
He probably means like a Brave account on cloud (mail and password for the vault).
Instead of a sync chain, (where if you lose all your devices your data is gone), it has your data inside your account on cloud, ready to sync on new devices no matter if you lose all your current ones.

1 Like

Maybe an option to have selfhosted encrypted vault ? I assume that FF have such feature where you can host on synology your own vault.