Error code: SIGILL in fedora 40

i have this message : “Error code: SIGILL”:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I usually browse on Brave.
  2. I exit the Brave browser.
  3. I return to Brave I have a blank page with this message: Error code: SIGILL

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.67.123 Chromium

Additional Information:

1 Like

Hello? (Hello, hello, hello)
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?..

Running sudo dnf upgrade might fix bugs causing the error.

Restart your System.

Relax (Relax, relax, relax)
I’ll need some information first
Just the basic facts
Can you show me where it hurts?]

@zembla I’m going to skip some things and just ask for some basic info really quick.

1. Where did you grab Brave from? I’m speaking about which method of everything at https://brave.com/linux/ did you use or did you grab somewhere else?

2. Is this easily able to be replicated?

3. To see if I’m understanding properly, are you saying it only happens if you exit Brave and then open it again? It doesn’t happen when opening new tabs or anything?

4. Are you using any extensions?

5. What do you have your browser set to open to? The setting for this is at brave://settings/getStarted.

1. Can you try with a new browser profile and see if it does it there as well? If don’t know how to do new profile, click on the hamburger menu (image) → More ToolsAdd new profile. Then use it with default settings, not adding extensions or changing anything.

2. If it’s still happening, can you also try on Brave Beta or Brave Nightly and see if it happens there?

3. Assuming somehow this still persists, can you try on Chrome and see if it happens there as well?

1 Like

thank for answer (Sorry for my poor English, I’m using an AI to respond to you in English.)

I installed the browser on Linux Fedora 40 by adding the repo like this:

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.repo

and then installing it with command :
sudo dnf install brave-browser.

This error doesn’t happen all the time, it’s difficult to quantify. It doesn’t occur often.
When it happens, I quit Brave and switch to Firefox. Then after some time, I switch back to Brave and it’s ok, I prefer surf on brave.

start page open in “New Tab” page.

I have opened a new profile and I won’t fail to follow your other suggestions.

Thank you very much for keeping me on the bright side of the moon.

Thank you, I will do that.

thank for answer

(Sorry for my poor English, I’m using an AI to respond to you in English.)

I installed the browser on Linux Fedora 40 by adding the repo like this:

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.repo

and then installing it with command sudo dnf install brave-browser.

This error doesn’t happen all the time, it’s difficult to quantify. It doesn’t occur often.
When it happens, I quit Brave and switch to Firefox. Then after some time, I switch back to Brave and it’s ok, I prefer.
surf on brave.

start page open in “New Tab” page.

I have opened a new profile and I won’t fail to follow your other suggestions.

Thank you for keeping me on the bright side of the moon.

I responded to you, but Askimet sent my response to the dark side of the moon.

Weird, guess it had some word or phrase that triggered the dumb spam filter thing. I’ll tag @Mattches and @Evan123 in case either can look for it and approve the reply. But might be good for them to also see your topic and see if they have anything to suggest

This may be due to you are attempting to Perform actions which your processor doesn’t support(Fail to read Instructions), The issue might be originating only with certain websites/actions ?

I am having the exact same problem on Fedora 40 KDE. Sometimes when I open Brave, I get this “SIGILL” error in every tab I open, even in the blank tab. Restarting the browser usually helps.

Some details:

• Brave is installed from the https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser.repo repository and is up to date (Version 1.67.123 Chromium: 126.0.6478.126 (Official Build) (64-bit))
  • All other packages are up to date too
  • The system is running on Ryzen 3600 with 32GB RAM (mostly free)
  • I use NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti GPU with the latest official driver 555.58.02
  • I work in a Wayland session

Exact same Problem on Fedora 40 KDE with Brave installed according to the Brave web guide by adding their repo. It started right after upgrading KDE Plasma to 6.1. Same exact behavior zembia reports. Usually resolves by closing the browser once, sometimes twice in a row. Everything else on the system is up-to-date, no testing versions of anything installed. Nvidia rpmfusion driver 555.58.02. Wayland only.

@sobersthebear @zembla @Ultranium, I reached out to support again about this thread, as it might have slipped under their radar.

To help them assist you better, please answer the following:

1. Have you updated to version 1.67.134, and are you still experiencing the issue?
  2. Does the issue occur in a new profile? @zembla mentioned trying a new profile but didn’t specify if it resolved the issue.
  3. Does the issue occur in a private window?
  4. Have you tried using Brave Beta or Brave Nightly, and do the issues persist there?
  5. Does the issue occur on Chrome, or does everything work fine there?

Please check and answer all of the above. Thanks!

Sorry for the lack of reply here. Forwarding this thread to our Linux team to review. It does look like someone reported a similar issue not long ago here:

I’ll use this issue for tracking. I’ve added this thread to the issue as well. In the meantime, would love to know the answers to what @Saoiray asked above.

Thanks

1 Like

Additionally, can anyone confirm whether or not clearing cache in the browser resolves the issue?

Here is additional information about this bug affecting me.

I added another account as suggested by Saoiray, but I’m still using the one I had before.

I should mention that I only encountered this bug once a few days ago, and everything has been fine since then.

I regularly update my system: Fedora 40 / Wayland / Linux 6.9.7-200.fc40.x86_64.

My PC configuration is quite old (Acer Aspire X3995, i5, Intel® Core™ i5-2320, 8GB memory, Intel® HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1)). However, it all works very well for programming in Python and doing some multimedia tasks.

Best regards

1 Like

The instruction to add another profile was for troubleshooting purposes. You were supposed to use the new profile and then report back if you experienced any issues on that browser profile. I’m not sure why you didn’t follow up on this, but I’m glad to hear the issue isn’t happening as often.

In the future, please ensure to answer all questions we ask. Ignoring questions and not providing information hinders our ability to locate the cause of issues and offer possible solutions. In this case, your responses haven’t given us enough to help you effectively.

Regardless, feel free to reach out if you have any further problems. And as mentioned, providing more detailed information would greatly help us assist you better.

So far I can report that:

1. Brave v.1.67.134 behaves the same
  2. Creating a new profile didn’t help, just like clearing all the browser data (including passwords) in the existing profile
  3. The error happens in Private windows too
  4. Brave Nightly seems to be working fine so far
  5. Well, with Chromium (v126.0.6478.182) it’s interesting. Sometimes it gives me SIGTRAP error, although it happens way less frequently. What I found is if I start Brave and Chromium simultaneously, there is almost a 50% chance that one of them will show either SIGILL or SIGTRAP error. If I run any of them independently, the probability of an error is way lower.
1 Like

This is also happening with chrome also. it should be related to the latest fedora update