Tabs crash randomly within Brave

Description of the issue: Since few months, some pages randomly crashes after some time returning the error «SIGSEGV» or «SIGILL». It happens very often on YouTube.

How can this issue be reproduced? :

1. Open YouTube or other website with media content in, watch some random video
  2. Open another tab and do something else
  3. Wait
  4. Observe the crash of the page

Expected result: No crashes.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Taken from about://chrome

Brave	1.23.71 Chromium: 90.0.4430.72 (Build officiel) (64 bits)
Révision	b6172ef8d07ef486489a4b11b66b2eaeed50d132-refs/branch-heads/4430@{#1233}
Système d'exploitation	Linux
JavaScript	V8 9.0.257.17
Agent utilisateur	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.72 Safari/537.36
Ligne de commande	/usr/lib/brave-bin/brave --enable-dom-distiller --disable-domain-reliability --no-pings --extension-content-verification=enforce_strict --extensions-install-verification=enforce --origin-trial-public-key=***=,****= --sync-url=https://sync-v2.brave.com/v2 --lso-url=https://no-thanks.invalid --variations-server-url=https://variations.brave.com/seed --enable-features=WebUIDarkMode,ReducedReferrerGranularity,PasswordImport,PrefetchPrivacyChanges,DnsOverHttps,LegacyTLSEnforced,AutoupgradeMixedContent,SafetyTip --disable-features=IdleDetection,TextFragmentAnchor,AutofillServerCommunication,SignedExchangeSubresourcePrefetch,SafeBrowsingEnhancedProtection,SignedExchangePrefetchCacheForNavigations,SubresourceWebBundles,NotificationTriggers,WebOTP,TabHoverCards,DirectSockets,SharingQRCodeGenerator,SafeBrowsingEnhancedProtectionMessageInInterstitials,LangClientHintHeader,NetworkTimeServiceQuerying,AutofillEnableAccountWalletStorage,BraveDomainBlock --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
Chemin d'accès exécutable	/usr/lib/brave-bin/brave
Chemin d'accès au profil	/home/jagh/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default
Variantes	7146a73c-3f4a17df

Additional Information:

• Page other than Youtube also crashes as well : I tried to buy something online on some website, the bank paycheck module to verify the transaction crashed, I had to reload the page manually. It also happened when editing a Jupyter notebook.
  • I use nvidia 465.24.02-4 drivers
  • I tried to disable hardware acceleration: same result
  • I tried to disable Sync : same result
  • I observe that some pages in Firefox also crashes in the same way
  • I observed all the above on a fresh install of Arch Linux with 5.11.15-arch1-2 Kernel.
  • I also observed this on my previous Arch Linux install
  • I also observed this on a fresh Pop_Os! install

Thank you for your work !

I have experienced similar issues with Pop_Os on sites with media, specifically video conferences like Google Hangout.

@BruceLeeroy,
@jaghili has requested we close this thread due to the fact they realized other applications crashing due to segfault errors and the issue is likely hardware related.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.