Err_ssl_protocol_error

Many websites are throwing ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR and won’t load on Brave for Ubuntu. This does not occur on the Windows version of Brave and other pieces of software like GIT and APT also seemed to be affected until I upgraded from Ubuntu 20_04 to 21_04, so some change between the two versions fixed my issue for GIT and APT but Brave is still broken.

Any ideas? Example of a website affected is login_live_com throws the error.

I don’t know anything about SSL nor any way to debug this, I’m not even entirely sure if it’s Brave that is broken or something wrong with Ubuntu, but my assumption is the problem is in Brave since not all programs suffer this problem (Firefox) and upgrading from Ubuntu 20_04 to 21_04 fixed the issue in other programs (GIT and APT). People on the Ubuntu forum also said it’s probably not an Ubuntu issue so my assumption is it is a Brave issue but no idea, really.

And before you ask, I am NOT using any sort of proxy or VPN. Googling this error a lot of websites recommend turning off your proxy but I am not using a proxy.

I don’t know if any of this helps but I get this output in the command line when the page fails.

ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl_cc(981)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -107

WGET still seems to have the issue after upgrading Ubuntu and it gives more specific error output when trying to WGET login_live_com.

Connecting to login_live_com (login_live_com)|40_126_24_149|:443… connected.
OpenSSL: error:1012606B:elliptic curve routines:EC_POINT_set_affine_coordinates:point is not on curve
OpenSSL: error:100AF010:elliptic curve routines:ec_group_new_from_data:EC lib
OpenSSL: error:100AE081:elliptic curve routines:EC_GROUP_new_by_curve_name:unknown group
OpenSSL: error:100C508D:elliptic curve routines:pkey_ec_ctrl:invalid curve
OpenSSL: error:141A413A:SSL routines:tls_process_ske_ecdhe:unable to find ecdh parameters
Unable to establish SSL connection.

This, again, does not affect all software. Firefox and Lynx can go to login_live_com while Brave and WGET cannot.

I don’t have any fancy software setup. This happened to me with a fresh install of both Ubuntu 20_04 and 21_04 as well as other flavors like Lubuntu and Kylin, and I installed Brave using exactly the commands listed on the website with no alteration to them.

Any ideas?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.