DuckDuckGo Banner Ad

Description of the issue:
New DuckDuckGo banner ad.

Exact URL of the website in question:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Brave+Browser

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave:

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

Brave:     1.61.104 Chromium: 120.0.6099.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) 
Revision:  38497f14ca9ff6f1d5b9c1d72f61fec6f0efcf1d

in Fanboy Annoyances. WIll be fixed in the next 4-6hrs.

@fanboynz

That rule doesn’t block the banner ad. Perhaps because the class is different.

<div class="vSP7cQ9d56toeDiIRVcQ MBBgaziqLnWH5TT5gsWE IUNQ86gLDJMJYZpHJLSI">
<div class="O9Ipab51rBntYb0pwOQn NlA6mw4gKSyxk2DUe_96 undefined">

duckduckgo.com##.IUNQ86gLDJMJYZpHJLSI.MBBgaziqLnWH5TT5gsWE.vSP7cQ9d56toeDiIRVcQ

Screenshot B:

I’d suggest creating a passphrase in/with/and customize DDG settings and turn off the “Install DDG” here: https://duckduckgo.com/settings#general
There’s no account just a random passphrase you can create, save it in your password manager in case/when cookies are deleted.

@User.1.000.000.000

This won’t work. I automatically delete cookies and browsing data every time the browser is closed. I also don’t use DuckDuckGo directly, but from address bar search.

I understand your hesitancy to allow cookies beyond a per session basis (good practice :+1:t2:, for the most part at least) but really I can’t imagine there being an issue with cookies for some websites, especially ones such as DDG (really no login credentials to worry about, I mean if someone were to get access to your device, what’s the worst thing that can happen to your DDG site right? haha :crazy_face:). SO, I have a suggestion on modifying some of your settings to make things a bit more convenient for you.

Instead of going through settings “Privacy and security” > “Clear browsing data” > “On exit” - and/or just modify the section for the “Cookies and other site data” to be unchecked and do the following…

You can choose under “Privacy and security” > (just below “Clear browsing data”) “Cookies and other site data” > “Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows” then choose exceptions to allow cookies on a per site basis by going to a website and clicking on the “website settings”/lock icon to the left of the https:// in address bar > choosing again “Cookies and site data” > “Manage on-device site data” and in the case for DDG, “ALLOW to save data” for “duckduckgo.com” (then do as I mentioned previously if this works for you).

With that said, here is something that I think you’ll REALLY like…

you can also go to websites and have them blocked from ever being saved to your device in the first place, i.e. going to Google and selecting “DON’T allow to save data” for “google.com” & “ogs.google.com” & “www.google.com” in case you are ever accidentally sent there (I figure if you’re a fan of DDG, you’re not a fan of Google :man_shrugging:t2: but that’s just me). Again, meaning no reason to clear it if you never allow it in the first place :muscle:t2:. Though be aware of course doing this for some cookies on websites/in some places, it can break websites/logins. (i.e. if you use Gmail, don’t do it for “accounts.google.com” & “mail.google.com” and set those to “Delete data when you close all windows” in case those get modified with the others).

Also, DDG can save cookies for the website (even if just temporarily with how it sounds like you currently have it setup) whether you use it through:

• the address bar shortcut search “:d (by default or by changing search default)”,
  • the DDG browser extension
  • going to the website directly
    (basically no matter how you get to the website).

BTW, Sorry if this sounds patronizing at all, I know with receiving help and support it can kinda feel that way, I don’t mean for it to sound that way at all and just hope this helps! (I know, for me at least, it was a bit of a confusing process to setup originally compared to other browsers).

…aaaaaand if this doesn’t work for you, sorry for wasting your time. :man_shrugging:t2:

Um, no. An ad blocker should be blocking ads when set to aggressive.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.